We offer rolling admissions into the MA program for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
MA Admission Requirements
- Official Transcripts
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college/university
- Goal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation (minimum 3)
- English Proficiency (if educated outside the United States)
- GPA >3.0 required for unconditional admission
- If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirement (3.0) please talk to us about potential options
- Solid science background with at least 18 credits of Biology
- If you do not have the recommended biology background, please talk to us about potential options.
- Clearly explain why they seek a Master’s in Biology and which concentration they wish to pursue
- Meet English proficiency requirements
- 94 TOEFL-internet
- 587 TOEFL-paper
- 7.0 IELTS
- 82 MELAB
- 65 PTE
- 120 Duolingo English Test (DET)
A maximum of 12 semester hours of graduate course work may be accepted by transfer from accredited institutions offering the master’s degree, but the grades will not be calculated into the GPA. The credits will be accepted provided:
1. Graduate credit was received from that institution;
2. The work was of “A” or “B” quality;
3. The work fits into the program;
4. Credit is less than six years old at the time the degree is conferred at Kent;
5. An official transcript with an accompanying explanatory letter is filed in the department;
6. The student’s adviser, department graduate committee and the dean approve.
Graduate Assistantships are NOT available for students enrolled in the MA program.
Students should consult with the MA Coordinator, Dr. Jen Mou (who will serve as their advisor), with any questions. Once admitted Dr. Mou will work with students to structure a course of study applicable to their professional needs, academic training, and interests.
If students have further questions about this program, please contact:
Graduate Office, Biological Sciences
Department of Biological Sciences
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242