Cyber Security Hub
Kent State University Cybersecurity hub aspires to be a knowledge sharing and training center in North East Ohio. Cybersecurity hub at the college of aeronautics and engineering will bring together expertise from a wide range of disciplines including Aeronautics, Mechatronics, Management information systems, computer science and Engineering.
The cybersecurity hub focusses on primarily educating the community of Kent in cybersecurity, but also has a mission of contributing to cybersecurity through active research. The center currently supports two undergraduate programs in the college of aeronautics and engineering. Students graduating from these two programs can become the workforce in cybersecurity.
“The Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Engineering Technology provides students with the opportunity to study computer systems and software-hardware interface so that they are capable of analyzing the problems in the computer and networking industry and producing computer engineering, networking and software solutions. The major's curriculum includes materials necessary for students to be eligible for industry certifications (e.g., Cisco, Dell, Juniper Networks) for career advancement. This program is ATMAE accredited”.
Bachelor of Science degree in Cybersecurity Engineering prepares individuals who want to become professional engineers in the broad field of cybersecurity. One objective of the program will be to provide students with a working knowledge of “analysis and evaluation of components and systems with respect to security and to maintaining operations in the presence of risks and threats” with an emphasis on engineered systems [ABET]. Students will gain the knowledge and skills necessary to address security issues pertaining to stakeholder needs and requirements (from a system engineering perspective) considering the lifecycle of the system from the outset. Design and development of systems, their components and associated networks to increase trustworthiness is a driving concern.
Industry & Connections
Kent State University College of Aeronautics and Engineering have partnered up with Cisco Technologies to establish Cisco Network Academy.
News & Events
- State CCDC Qualifiers, Kent State University Cybersecurity student club have participated in the state qualifiers for Collegiate Cybersecurity Defense competition. Students felt they have learned new technologies and challenges in cybersecurity by taking part in this competition
- National Cyber League Kent State University students will be participating in NCL spring 2020.
- Capture the flag event College of Aeronautics and Engineering students will host capture the flag event in spring 2020. Dates will be updated soon.
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine Signs Cyber reserve legislation.
- Educational Resources:
- Cybersecurity Challenges:
- Cybersecurity in Government: