Style Manual and Standards for Submitting Assignments to the College
The ability to communicate effectively by written and oral means is one of the most important professional skills industry expects of new graduates entering the workforce, and one the of the most lacking skills of graduates coming out of technical programs. This is a nationwide problem that is the subject of much discussion in the technical community.
The manual and templates on this website provide a guide for generating and submitting academic assignments to the College of Aeronautics and Engineering (CAE). It is a work in progress, and will be updated by the faculty as necessary.
Course instructors determine their own preference for submission of academic requirements in their particular courses. In the absence of instructor preference, students should refer to this document when submitting assignments for academic credit.
The goals of this manual are to:
- Introduce, teach, and inform students of the importance of high-quality writing to their discipline and their own professionalism.
- Supplement the assessment processes of the college’s different program outcomes.
- Provide quality control measures encouraged by accreditation organizations, especially with regard to written and oral communication.
This document discusses and provides examples of technical documentation, preferred citation styles, with tips for technical writing.
Lastly, this manual provides examples of different types of academic assignments students might expect to encounter in the different courses offered in this college.
- Homework example and considerations.
- Technical presentation template and guide.
- Technical report template.
- Non-technical report template.
- Sample business case study.
- Computer code example and considerations.
Download the College of Aeronautics and Engineering Assignment Style Manual (PDF)
Download the technical report template (DOC)
Download the APA style report template (DOC)
Download the PowerPoint slide technical presentation template (PPTX)
Download the sample case study and template (DOC)