Undergraduate Academic Advising
Welcome to undergraduate advising and academic services! We encourage students to become an active partner with us throughout their academic career when they become students in the College of Aeronautics and Engineering at Kent State University.
The Office of Student Services in 127 ATB is responsible for:
- Academic advising
- Assistance with registration issues
- Graduation for all undergraduate students earning their Bachelor of Science degrees
Graduate/Master level students should contact their assigned faculty advisor or the Graduate Program Coordinator, Richard Mangrum, Ed.D at email@example.com or 330-672-1933.
New students, including transfer students, and students changing their majors into our college will be assigned an advisor. Current students enrolled in the College of Aeronautics and Engineering have been assigned an advisor and can go to the "Student Information" on Flashline to determine their assigned advisor. Freshman who come through Destination Kent State will be assigned to an Advisor. Transfer students please call 330-672-2892 to schedule an appointment with an Advisor (please let the secretary know you are a transfer student).
The Student Services Office has three Academic Advisors to serve you:
- Michael Gershe, Senior Advisor II, (330) 672-0794, firstname.lastname@example.org; Mr. Gershe advises Applied Engineering and Engineering majors and minors
- Lawrence Epps, Senior Advisor II, (330) 672-9989, email@example.com; Mr. Epps advises all Aeronautics Program majors (Aeronautics, Aerospace Engineering, and Aeronautical Systems Engineering Technology) and minors whose last name begins with letters A-L, with the exception of those students in the Living Learning Community (LLC)
- Heather Ryan, Senior Advisor, (330) 672-9861, firstname.lastname@example.org; Mrs. Ryan advises all Aeronautics Program majors (Aeronautics, Aerospace Engineering, and Aeronautical Systems Engineering Technology) and minors whose last name begins with letters M-Z, and those students in the Living Learning Community (LLC). Please note while Mrs. Ryan is on leave during Fall 2018, three interns will be covering. Please schedule appointments through Flashline as normal or contact the office.
- Appointments are 30min, double-check the start time of your appointment.
- Be on time or your appointment may be canceled.
- Be sure to check-in with the front desk when you arrive for your appointment!
- Please do not schedule appointments for letter requests
- Should your appointment need to be canceled by staff, you will receive email notification.
The Office of Student Service is located in 127 in the Aeronautics and Technology Building, 1400 Lefton Esplanade. The main office number is 330-672-2892, the fax number is 330-672-2894.
For GPS or mapping, please use 1400 East Summit Street, Kent, OH 44242.
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., closed during the lunch hour noon-1:00 p.m.
We generally cannot accept walk-ins. Please schedule an appointment to see an advisor. Be sure to check-in with the front desk when you arrive for your appointment. Be on time or your appointment may be canceled.
Walk-In Advising Hours
Walk-in Advising Hours will be announced here when open. We can accept walk-ins during those specific days/times only. (Walk-in Advising is generally open during the first week of the semester only, so please consider scheduling an appointment). Walk-in advising is for current undergraduate students only. New students and students who are transferring to Kent State must make an appointment due to the amount of time required (please contact your Advisor directly).
If you cannot make the walk-in times, please schedule an appointment for the second full week of the semester. No appointments will be scheduled during walk-in advising times.
To attend walk-in advising, sign in at the Office of Student Services in 127 ATB and have a seat in the lobby. Students will be seen in the order in which they sign in, and by their assigned advisor if at all possible. Appointments are generally a maximum of 15 minutes.
FAll 2018 Walk-In Advising Hours
- August 23-24 and 27-31
- 9:00am to 11:30am and 1:30pm to 4:00pm
- all other days/times are by appointment only
Welcome Transfer Students! Our goal is to make your transition to the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology as smooth as possible.
Academic Advisors are available to assist you with your transition to the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability and Technology. Please schedule an academic advising appointment with an Advisor as indicated above.
Who is considered a transfer student?
Anyone who has enrolled at another college or university since high school graduation prior to Kent State is considered a transfer student. You are a transfer student if you attended Kent State after high school, transferred to another school and would like to return. If you started at one of Kent State's regional campuses, you are not a transfer student. If you are planning to come to the Kent Campus from a regional campus you are considered a transitioning student.
Please click the following link for information about graduating and the online graduation application: Graduation Information
Students who miss the deadline may be faced with a $200 late fee if appeal is accepted.
Students will receive two graduation evaluations sent via email to their kent.edu account. It is your responsibility to know your requirements and whether you are on track to graduate. Please consult your adviser to make sure you are making progress towards graduation.
Students who wish to change their graduation date after they apply will need to contact the Student Services Office. Students who do not graduate in the term in which they apply for, will be moved automatically to the next term.
Any questions about the actual ceremony must be directed to the Provost Office. Many questions may be answered on the Provost’s Web Site. Students may seek additional information via e-mail to email@example.com.
Students are encouraged to attend the ceremony. However, they may earn their diploma without attending the ceremony. Either way, all diplomas are mailed to the students’ permanent home addresses following final verification of all requirements being met.