Quilian is an architectural and urban designer, researcher, writer, and educator committed to creating designs that support public/civic ideals. As Associate Director, Quilian provides strategy and design coordination for the CUDC’s urban design, engagement, research, publication and academic activities.
Prior to coming to the CUDC, Quilian founded DSGN AGNC, a design studio exploring political engagement through architecture, urbanism and art. Quilian's clients and partners have included the New York City Department of Transportation, The National Park Service, the Queens Museum, the Desert Botanical Garden, Youngstown State University and Richmond’s Institute of Contemporary Art. Quilian’s design work has been featured at the Venice Biennale, Queens Museum of Art, Harvard University, Parsons The New School of Design, The Storefront for Art and Architecture, The New Museum, The Austrian Cultural Forum, among others. Quilian has received fellowships from the Queens College, The Institute for Public Architecture, the J. Max Bond Jr. Center for the Just City, and the Design Trust for Public Space, among others.
Quilian is committed to design education and research with extensive experience teaching in graduate and undergraduate design programs. For ten years Quilian was as a part-time Assistant Professor of Design Strategies at the New School of Design and has also taught architectural and urban design studios at Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design, Columbia University, Pratt Institute, Syracuse University, Carleton University (Ottawa), Wentworth Institute of Technology, and the City College of New York. Besides these institutions, Quilian has also been a guest-reviewer at many programs including Yale University, MIT and the Rhode Island School of Design.
Harvard University – Masters of Architecture
University of Florida – Bachelors of Design in Architecture
Area(s) of expertise
Urban Design, Service Design, Political Theory, Community Engagement, Art Installations, Housing, Public Interest Design
· ARCHITECT d.b.a.. Ed. Hana Kassem, AIA, Director, KPF Dan Gallagher, AIA, Principal, NADAAA. New York Center for Architecture,
2016. Contribution by Quilian Riano on Public Space.
· Mostafavi, Mohsen, and Gareth Doherty. “GSD: Ecological Urbanism Blog.” Ecological Urbanism. Baden, Switzerland: Lars Müller,
2010. Pages: 630-39.
· Hee, Limin, Andrew TenBrink, Thomas Schroepfer, Quilian Riano, and Christian Wethmann. TRANSURBAN CASE STUDY 03:
VALDESPARTERA. Cambridge: Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2010.
· Hee, Limin, Andrew TenBrink, Thomas Schroepfer, Quilian Riano, and Christian Wethmann. TRANSURBAN CASE STUDY 04:
SARRIGUREN. Cambridge: Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2010.
· Rebirth of the Tajo River. Ed. Carl Steinitz, Christian Werthmann and Quilian Riano. Cambridge: Harvard U Graduate School of
· Riano, Quilian Peggy Deamer and Manuel Schwatzberg. “Identifying the Designer as Worker.” Ed. Iker Gil. MAS CONTEXT 27
· Riano, Quilian. “Which Public?” Ed. Janette Kim. ARPA JOURNAL - Columbia University GSAPP. Issue 1 (2014):