Career Exploration Fair
The Career Exploration Fair is open to all KSU students/alumni of all majors who are seeking internships, co-ops, full-time, part-time, and on-campus student employment opportunities. The event is also open to any organization recruiting for employment opportunities or any higher education institution/department recruiting for or promoting their graduate school programs.
Information for Students & Alumni:
Define your future HERE and join us for the Career Exploration Fair on Wednesday, September 23! This event will take place 100% virtually in Handshake and will allow you to connect with employers and/or graduate schools through 1-on-1 video sessions and group video sessions to learn about a variety of employment opportunities and graduate programs!
1-on-1 video sessions allow you to meet with organizations you are interested in learning more about on an individual basis. Think of these 1-on-1 sessions as your first introduction to the organization. The sessions are meant to simulate how you would interact with an organization at an in-person career fair or grad school fair by walking up to their table. During this time, you should introduce yourself, share your elevator pitch, and ask questions about the company, school, program, department, and/or positions available. The organization might ask you about your skills, experiences, and professional interests but keep in mind that these sessions are not intended to be a formal interview.
Group video sessions can be hosted by an organization to give you an overview on open opportunities, a specific graduate program, school or company values, or can even be formatted as an open Q&A session. Up to 50 people can attend a group session so make sure to sign up if you’re interested!
How to Prepare:
- Update your Handshake profile. Make sure your Handshake profile is up to date with all of your work experiences, skills, volunteer activities, student organization involvement, relevant coursework, profile photo, interests, etc. View this easy 10 step article to make sure your profile is ready to go!
- Research organizations participating in the fair that you are interested in AND sign up for 1-on-1 and/or group sessions to learn more about the various organizations and opportunities available.
- Attend a drop-in session to have your resume reviewed, get interviewing tips, ask questions about navigating the new video features in Handshake, and more! Weekday afternoon and evening sessions are available to join.
- Craft your elevator pitch. Your elevator pitch is your quick, personal selling statement. It should include who you are, your major, a specific career goal or interest, how you’ve demonstrated your interest and experience in the field, why you are qualified for the position, and a closing remark. Check out our tips and tricks for crafting your elevator pitch HERE!
- Dress in professional attire on the day of the event. Lay out your outfit ahead of time and check out suggestions HERE!
- Download the Handshake app (iOS and Android)! You can do easy research on the positions available and get information about the departments participating.
- Follow us on Twitter, @KentStateCareer, where we will be posting quick tips, video tutorials, and resources to get you prepared.
Join us for a prep session hosted by Career Exploration and Development to get tips on your resume, crafting your elevator pitch, and interviewing as well as learn about the new Handshake features and how to navigate the virtual fair.
- Friday, September 18 from 1:00pm - 2:00pm EST: Future Focused Friday, Career Fair Success
- Monday, September 21 from 6:00pm - 7:30pm EST: Career Exploration Fair Prep Workshop
There will also be a help session you can join on the day of the fair to ask questions or receive advice from a Career Advisor. More details will be shared about this help link through email after you have registered for the fair in Handshake.
If you’re looking to start your career with a company that grows their managers and leaders from within the organization, then the Enterprise Management Training Program is for you. Whether you see yourself in sales, business development, customer service or operations, this program will prepare you to create your ideal career. As a Management Trainee, you can count on a defined career trajectory with a clear beginning and an open end — meaning you can take your training and shape your future. And with our promote-from-within philosophy, you will have plenty of opportunities to advance without ever having to change companies.
Get an inside look at what it's like to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car as part of its Management Trainee Program. Make sure to schedule a session with their representatives to learn more about the Management Trainee Program and how to apply!
Union Home Mortgage
At Union Home Mortgage, we want to help you find your most fulfilling and successful career path. Our Partners are constantly helping each other by expressing their visions and being themselves. Union Home Mortgage offers internships in sales, marketing, accounting, IT, operations, finance, foundation, event planning, training, human resources, and risk.
Check out these Union Home Mortgage interns who spill the tea on what it's like to intern with the company! To learn more, visit UnionHomeMortgage.com/Internships and make sure to schedule a session with a representative at the fair.
REMINDER: You must click the “Register” button in Handshake to participate in this career fair. If you do not register, you will not have access to signing up for 1-on-1 video sessions or group video sessions with employers.
Information for Employers & Graduate Schools:
Connect, engage, and recruit Northeast Ohio's top talent at the Career Exploration Fair! This fair is a great opportunity to connect with quality candidates and kick-start your fall recruiting season with Kent State.
Handshake has introduced several new features that allow capabilities to host a 100% virtual career fair. These new features include:
- 1-on-1 video sessions between an employer and potential candidate (10 minutes in length)
- Group video sessions hosted by an employer that candidates can join (maximum of three 30 minute sessions per employer)
1-on-1 video sessions allow representatives with your organization to meet with qualified candidates on an individual basis. Think of these 1-on-1 sessions as your first introduction to the candidates. The sessions are meant to simulate how a candidate would interact with you by walking up to your table at an in-person career fair or graduate fair. Candidates will be encouraged to introduce themselves, share their elevator pitch with you, and ask questions about your organization, department, positions, and/or graduate programs. In turn, you may inquire more about the candidate’s skills, experiences, and professional interests but keep in mind that these sessions are not intended to be a formal interview.
Group video sessions can be used to educate a larger audience (up to 50 attendees) on what your organization values and give an overview of your open opportunities or graduate programs. These can also be structured as information sessions, "ask me anything", and more - feel free to be creative! Multiple members of your team can participate in group sessions to help with moderation and coordination (i.e. facilitating video, chat, and screen-sharing).
Fair registration will be approved by Kent State University upon receiving payment in full. The last day to receive approval to attend is Friday, September 18, 2020. Once your organization's registration has been approved, you can begin setting up schedule of 1-on-1 and group video sessions for up to 15 colleagues. Each representative from your organization can have their own schedule and can also assist with facilitating group sessions. Please note that students cannot begin signing up for your sessions until you have created your schedule and representatives in your organization have claimed their schedule.
See more information in Handshake on what is included in the registration rates and promotional packages:
- Standard Rate: $300
- Government/Non-profit Rate: $150
- Promotion Rate: $500
- Visiting Schools: Graduate Program Rate: $75
- Kent State University: Graduate Program Rate: Free
Contact Kristin Williams, Executive Director, at email@example.com or 330-672-8372 with any questions.