Career Exploration Fair
This event is open to all KSU students/alumni of all majors who are seeking internships, co-ops, full-time, part-time, and on-campus student employment opportunities.
Information for Students:
Define your future TODAY and join us for the Career Exploration Fair on Wednesday, September 23! This event will take place 100% virtually in Handshake and will allow you to connect with employers through 1-on-1 video sessions and group video sessions to learn about a variety of employment opportunities!
1-on-1 video sessions allow you to meet with employers you are interested in learning more about on an individual basis. Think of these 1-on-1 sessions as your first introduction to the employer. The sessions are meant to simulate how you would interact with an employer at an in-person career fair by walking up to their table. During this time, you should introduce yourself, share your elevator pitch, and ask questions about the company, department, and positions available. An employer might ask you about your skills, experiences, and professional interests but keep in mind that these sessions are not intended to be a formal interview.
Group video sessions can be used by an employer to give you an overview on open opportunities, company values, or can even be formatted as an open Q&A session. Up to 50 people can attend a group session so make sure to sign up if you’re interested!
How to Prepare:
- Update your Handshake profile. Make sure your Handshake profile is up to date with all of your work experiences, skills, volunteer activities, student organization involvement, relevant coursework, profile photo, interests, etc. View this easy 10 step article to make sure your profile is ready to go!
- Research employers participating in the fair that you are interested in AND sign up for 1-on-1 and/or group sessions to learn more about the various organizations and opportunities available.
- Attend a drop-in session to have your resume reviewed, get interviewing tips, ask questions about navigating the new video features in Handshake, and more! Weekday afternoon and evening sessions are available to join.
- Craft your elevator pitch. Your elevator pitch is your quick, personal selling statement. It should include who you are, your major, a specific career goal or interest, how you’ve demonstrated your interest and experience in the field, why you are qualified for the position, and a closing remark. Check out our tips and tricks for crafting your elevator pitch HERE!
- Dress in professional attire on the day of the event. Lay out your outfit ahead of time and check out suggestions HERE!
- Download the Handshake app (iOS and Android)! You can do easy research on the positions available and get information about the departments participating.
- Follow us on Twitter, @KentStateCareer, where we will be posting quick tips, video tutorials, and resources to get you prepared.
Prep sessions will also be hosted by Career Exploration and Development in early September to help you learn about the new Handshake features and how to navigate the virtual fair. Stay tuned for more details coming soon on www.kent.edu/career!
There will also be a help session you can join on the day of the fair to ask questions or receive advice from a Career Advisor. More details will be shared closer to the Career Exploration Fair on our website and through email after you have registered for the fair in Handshake.
REMINDER: You must click the “Register” button in Handshake to participate in this career fair. If you do not register, you will not have access to signing up for 1-on-1 video sessions or group video sessions with employers.
Information for Employers:
Connect, engage, and recruit Northeast Ohio's top talent at the Career Exploration Fair! This fair is a great opportunity to connect with quality candidates and kick-start your fall recruiting season with Kent State.
Handshake has introduced several new features that allow capabilities to host a 100% virtual career fair. These new features include:
- 1-on-1 video sessions between an employer and potential candidate (10 minutes in length)
- Group video sessions hosted by an employer that candidates can join (maximum of three 30 minute sessions per employer)
1-on-1 video sessions allow representatives with your organization to meet with qualified candidates on an individual basis. Think of these 1-on-1 sessions as your first introduction to the candidates. The sessions are meant to simulate how a candidate would interact with you by walking up to your table at an in-person career fair. Candidates will be encouraged to introduce themselves, share their elevator pitch with you, and ask questions about your company, department, and positions. In turn, you may inquire more about the candidate’s skills, experiences, and professional interests but keep in mind that these sessions are not intended to be a formal interview.
Group video sessions can be used to educate a larger audience (up to 50 attendees) on what your company values and give an overview of your open opportunities. These can also be structured as information sessions, "ask me anything", and more. Feel free to be creative! Multiple members of your team can participate in group sessions to help with moderation and coordination (i.e. facilitating video, chat, and screen-sharing).
Fair registration will be approved by Kent State University upon receiving payment in full. Approvals will begin in early August. The last day to receive approval to attend is Friday, September 18, 2020. Once your organization's registration has been approved, you can begin setting up schedule of 1-on-1 and group video sessions for up to 15 colleagues. Each representative from your organization can have their own schedule and can also assist with facilitating group sessions. Please note that students cannot begin signing up for your sessions until you have created your schedule and representatives in your organization have claimed their schedule.
See more information in Handshake on what is included in the registration rates and promotional packages:
- Standard Rate: $300
- Government/Non-profit Rate: $150
- Promotion Rate: $500
Contact Robin Pijor, Associate Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-672-9953 with any questions.