Sichuan University Summer Immersion Program (UIP)
A two-week cultural exchange program at the Sichuan University in Chengdu, China in July 2018
Language Pre-requisite: No
Primary Instruction Language: English
Eligibility: Undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in the College of Communication and Information
Program Type: Cultural exchange
Faculty Liaison: Stephanie Danes Smith, assistant professor, College of Communication and Information, email@example.com
Kent State University College of Communication and Information students are invited to attend the Sichuan University Summer Immersion Program to cultivate dialogue between Chinese and international students in academic research, cultural exchange, tour of campus, basic Chinese language, understanding of Chinese traditional culture, tourism excursions and other hands on activities. All courses will be taught in English; none of the courses are for Kent State credit, nor will they impact your GPA. In addition to two weeks of study at Sichuan University, the 2018 program will begin with a few days of cultural immersion in Beijing, China.
Sichuan University (SCU), ranked the 8th most prestigious university in China, was founded in 1740 with the origin in BCE 141. SCU is the most comprehensive and largest university in Western China, with more than 70,000 students and 11,000 faculty and staff across all three campuses located in Chengdu.
Program Length: 3 weeks
Program Contents: lecture series on history in English, intercultural communication discussions, campus tour
Program Instructors: International faculty invited to teach in the Sichuan UIP
Important: This program will satisfy the study abroad requirement for undergraduate students majoring in Global Communication. If Global Communication Master's students register for credit hours of individual investigation, with their advisor’s permission, this will meet their study abroad requirement.
Program Dates: July 3-July 23
Day 1: Depart from Cleveland
Day 2: Arrive in Beijing
Day 3: Tour of historic sites in Beijing
Day 4: Tour of historic sites in Beijing
Day 5: Depart for Chengdu
Day 6: Opening Ceremony of UIP
Day 7: UIP Classes Begin
Day 8: UIP classes
Day 9: UIP classes
Day 10: UIP classes
Day 11: UIP classes
Day 12: Weekend excursion
Day 13: Weekend excursion
Day 14: UIP classes resume
Day 15: UIP classes
Day 16: UIP classes
Day 17: UIP classes
Day 18: UIP classes end, farewell ceremony
Day 19: Final weekend excursion
Day 20: Final weekend excursion
Day 21: Depart Chengdu, arrive in Cleveland (evening)
- Complete an online applicationon Education Abroad website. Applications are due March 23, 2018.
- Submit the completed and signed Sichuan University Foreign Student Application to Stephanie Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Miao Liu (email@example.com).
- Be in good academic standing with a GPA of at least 2.5 and above.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a Kent State faculty member that evaluates your suitability for the program and your ability to adapt to unfamiliar environment. Faculty may email it to Stephanie Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Miao Liu (email@example.com).
- Upload answers to two essay questions (600 words total) explaining your motivation for participating in the program, how the study abroad experience fits into your program of study and/or career goals, any specific skills that would make you an ideal candidate, and what you expect to gain from this experience.
ACCOMMODATIONS IN CHENGDU
International Student Dorm, Double Occupancy, Private Bathroom
COSTS & TUITION
Tuition: Free (non-credited)
Airfare: USD $2,100 (estimated), balance reimbursed by Sichuan University RMB 3,000 (or $477)
CCI Airfare Scholarship: paid by Kent State toward airfare USD $1,260
Lodging: Free (during program); paid by Sichuan University; students will pay 3 days of lodging ($25/per night)
Food: Free (during program); paid by Sichuan University RMB 65/day
Insurance: USD $36
Passport: USD $135 (if needed)
Visa: USD $258 (estimated)
OGE Admin Fee: USD $60
Course book (under $20)
Out-of-Pocket Expenses: USD $1,200 (estimated, plus spending money for entertainment and shopping)