Sichuan University Summer Immersion Program
A two-week cultural exchange program at the Sichuan University in Chengdu, China in July 2017
Language Pre-requisite: No
Primary Instruction Language: English
Eligibility: Undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in the College of Communication and Information
Program Type: Cultural exchange summer camp
Faculty Liaison: Stephanie Danes Smith, assistant professor in the schools of Communication Studies and Journalism & Mass Communication, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kent State University College of Communication and Information students are invited to attend the Sichuan University Summer Immersion Program to cultivate dialogue between Chinese and international students in academic research, cultural exchange, tour of campus, basic Chinese language, understanding of Chinese traditional culture, tourism excursions and other hands on activities. (See additional information from Information Session Presentation)
Sichuan University (SCU), ranked the 8th most prestigious university in China, was founded in 1740 with the origin in BCE 141. SCU is the most comprehensive and largest university in Western China, with more than 70,000 students and 11,000 faculty and staff across all three campuses located in Chengdu.
Program Length: 2 weeks
Program Contents: lecture series on history in English, intercultural communication discussions, campus tour
Program Instructors: Sichuan University faculty
Important: This program will satisfy the study abroad requirement for undergraduate students majoring in Global Communication. If Global Communication Master's students register for credit hours of individual investigation, with their advisor’s permission, this will meet their study abroad requirement.
Program Dates: June 30-July 16, 2017
Day 1: Depart Cleveland
Day 2: Arrive in Chengdu
Day 3: Opening Ceremony, welcome luncheon, campus tour
Day 4: Lecture Series of Chinese History (1)
Day 5: Lecture Series of Chinese History (2)
Day 6: Visit University Museum, Park
Day 7: Lecture Series of Chinese History (3)
Day 8: Excursion
Day 9: Excursion
Day 10: Intercultural Communication and Discussion (1)
Day 11: Tour Museums
Day 12: Lecture Series of Chinese History (4)
Day 13: Intercultural Communication and Discussion (2)
Day 14: Sichuan and Kent State Faculty and Students Discussion Forum
Day 15: Excursion
Day 16: Depart from Chengdu
- Complete an online applicationon Education Abroad website. Applications are due March 10, 2017.
- Submit the completed and signed Sichuan University Foreign Student Application to Alice Kopunovitz (email@example.com) or in person (211A Art Building).
- Be in good academic standing with a GPA of at least 2.5 and above.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a Kent State faculty member that evaluates your suitability for the program and your ability to adapt to unfamiliar environment. Faculty may email it to Alice Kopunovitz (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Upload a 500-word essay explaining your motivation for participating in the program, how the study abroad experience fits into your program of study and/or career goals, any specific skills that would make you an ideal candidate, and what you expect to gain from this experience.
- Finalists must be available for an interview that will be scheduled between March 13 and March 24.
International Student Dorm, Double Occupancy, Private Bathroom
COSTS & TUITION
Tuition: Free (non-credited)
Airfare: USD $2,000 (estimated), balance reimbursed by Sichuan University RMB 3,000
CCI Airfare Scholarship: paid by Kent State toward airfare USD $1,260
Lodging: Free (during program); paid by Sichuan University RMB 150/day
Food: Free (during program); paid by Sichuan University RMB 65/day
Insurance: USD $36
Passport: USD $135 (if needed)
Visa: USD $242 (estimated)
OGE Admin Fee: USD $60
Lodging and food for two extra days: USD $80 (estimated)
Out-of-Pocket Expenses: USD $750 (estimated)
- Alice Kopunovitz
- 211A Art Building