The Associate of Applied Science degree in Human Services is designed to prepare graduates for entry-level positions in a variety of human services agencies, and includes applied courses in human services and joint university-agency supervised internships. The core courses provide a solid foundation in case management and client advocacy. This program is endorsed by the Ohio Coalition of Associate Degree Human Service Educators as authorized by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board and the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board as meeting the curricular requirements for the Social Work Assistant, Chemical Dependency Counselor Assistant I & II and Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor.
The program is designed to articulate fully to Kent State’s B.S. degree in Human Development and Family Studies, Human Services concentration. However, it is also applicable to the bachelor programs in psychology and sociology.
This Program is Right For You If You Will
- Be a beacon of hope for struggling children and families
- Break the chains of addiction as a skilled treatment provider
- Provide care, dignity and empowerment for our aging community
- Advocate—becoming a voice for the oppressed and silenced
This Program Will Teach You
- Addictions, Mental Wellness and Recovery Models of Care
- Social Work Theory, Policy, Evidenced Based Practices and Treatment Planning
- Assessment, Motivational Interviewing, Group Facilitation, and Case Management
- Community Resources, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, Ohio Benefits Bank