How to Apply to the BSN Program
Welcome to your first step to applying to our Baccalaureate Nursing program here at Kent State University Salem. Step one is to apply to Kent State University and submit all official transcripts (if any) from colleges or universities previously attended. Please send your transcripts to:
Kent State University, Salem Campus
2491 State Route 45
Salem, Ohio 44460
ATTN: Transcript Enclosed
TRANSFER STUDENTS are required to request all official transcripts from each college or university.
All students must first apply online and indicate Nursing as your desired major and Salem as your campus choice. If your application is approved and admission minimums are met, you will be admitted to Kent State as a Nursing major. If the admission minimums are not met, you will be deferred to the College of Public Health.
Admission to the Nursing major is selective; the process is competitive, and acceptance is never guaranteed. Prospective applicants must have completed high school mathematics, biology and chemistry. In addition, students must have achieved one of the following:
- 2.7 overall high school GPA (on a 4.0 scale) and a minimum 22 ACT composite/1100 new SAT total score (1020 combined critical reading and mathematics score old SAT);
- Applicants with a 21 ACT composite score/1060 new SAT total score (or 980 SAT combined critical reading and mathematics score old SAT) need a 3.0 high school grade point average.
- Applicants with a 20 ACT composite score/1020 new SAT total score (or 940 SAT combined critical reading and mathematics score old SAT) need a 3.3 high school grade point average.
Students with an ACT composite score of 23 or higher may be considered for the Honors program at Salem. Please ask your advisor if you qualify.
In order to apply to the Professional Nursing Sequence, students must have 30 semester hours of college-level coursework, including in-progress, a minimum 2.75 GPA in the prerequisite sciences (see below) and 2.75 in your overall college GPA, and have already completed, or are in the process of completing:
- Science Prerequisites (Must earn C or better in each course)
- BSCI 21010 and BSCI 21020- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- BSCI 20021 - Microbiology
- CHEM 10055- Molecules of Life
- College Algebra (Must earn C or better)
Your advisor will help you schedule these during your first year.
Apply to the College of Nursing once you have satisfied the prerequisites. This occurs in February prior to the Fall semester you plan to begin your Nursing Course Sequence.