What can S.M.I.L.E. be used for?
S.M.I.L.E. Lab workstations are available for the creation and use of multimedia
They are not to be used for word processing, e-mail, instant messaging, or Web browsing. Downloading images, music, or video files is not permitted except for the creation of class assignments..
- Scan photographs or slides
- Borrow a digital camera or camcorder
- Upload and edit photos and video
- Create a Powerpoint presentation or Web page & burn it to a CD-R
- Use Adobe Acrobat Professional to created *.pdf documents
- Use Captivate to create Flash animations
- Print color copies
- Make digital voice recordings
- Watch instructional videos and DVDs
- Use tutorials from the Kent Student Multimedia Studio & others for help with Audio, Powerpoint, Digital Storytelling, Windows Movie Maker, PhotoStory, and Web projects, equipment checkout procedures & policies:
- And more...
- Contact the Library's circulation desk for assistance in using S.M.I.L.E. Lab resources or to make an appointment for a one-on-one consultation.
- Use tutorials from the Kent Student Multimedia Studio and others for help with Powerpoint, Audio, Video, Web, and other projects.
- Video Production - includes capturing video from the Web, video interviews, free music and sound effects, and much more. Find instructions for uploading video to KSU Tube here.
- Tutorials on how to use PowerPoint:
- Audio Production Tutorials
Who may use the lab
The lab is available to current Kent State students, faculty, and staff and to KSU job applicants. S.M.I.L.E. Lab workstations are available on a "walk-in" basis from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Friday. Users may reserve time for individual or class use in person or by telephone.
Equipment checkout procedures & policies
Laptop computers, digital cameras and camcorders, and digital voice recorders are available to use on campus. To reserve the equipment, fill out an AV request form and return it to the Library circulation desk. Pick up and return the equipment to the circulation desk. Users are responsible for returning equipment on time and in good condition. They will be financially responsible for loss or damage to the equipment.
Works in other formats may be digitized to include in academic assignments provided that:
- the original work has been lawfully acquired and
- Fair use limitations of time and portion are met. People who knowingly breach copyright law will lose access to the lab and may be personally liable for any legal action as a result of a breach.