The M.A. in Global Communication features five areas of emphasis, which allow students to examine both traditional and new media systems and organizations, intercultural interactions and message and information flows across the world.
- Global Media and Communication
- Global Politics and Governmental Relationships
- Global Health, Risk and Interaction
- Global Business and Inter-organizational Networks
- Global Civil Society, NGOs and Social Movements
Global Communication Faculty:
- Paul Haridakis, Ph.D., Kent State University
- Interests: Media uses and effects, law, public policy, new communication technologies, sports communication and freedom of speech
- Mei-Chen Lin, Ph.D., University of Kansas
- Interests: Communication and aging, intercultural communication, inter-generational communication across cultures, communication across life-span, group dynamics
- Suzy D'Enbeau, Ph.D., Purdue University
- Interests: Constructing and performing gender in different organizational contexts and in popular culture, organizational communication, gender and communication and qualitative methods and analysis
Graduates with this emphasis pursue careers in a wide variety of locations and fields such as multicultural management, international health campaigns, multinational corporate negotiations, communication management in diplomatic settings, social movement, media coordination, corporate or governmental documents translation, cross-cultural technical communication and training as well as leadership within any sector confronting current global challenges.
- Elective courses from other schools in the College of Communication and Information and from disciplines outside the college, including anthropology, business, economics, education, geography, political science and sociology, may complement Communication Studies courses.
- Students interested in a particular area of the world should combine the global communication M.A. degree with the appropriate preparation in languages and focused research.
- Download the curriculum checklist PDF or view the checklist here.