Awarding of College Credit for Military Training/Experience

Awarding of College Credit for Military Training/Experience


Since the introduction of Ohio GI Promise, Kent State University has been among the 36 Ohio public colleges and universities that are committed to the acceptance and awarding of college credit for training and experience in the United States Armed Forces or National Guard, as long as it has been approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) or a regional accrediting body, such as the Higher Learning Commission. If you have a copy of your JST, you can look up the course or occupation codes on the ACE website to see how many credits are recommended for your military experiences. The link is


Submitting your Joint Services Transcript to Kent State University

At this time, your Joint Services Transcript (JST) is not a required document to apply for admission at Kent State University. However, it is strongly suggested that you request an official JST to be sent to Kent State’s admissions office for evaluation of potential credits. If you have not ordered an official copy of your JST, or if you need information on how to request one, you can visit which will outline detailed steps to order your JST.


Submitting your Community College of the Air Force Transcript to Kent State University

The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) is a regionally accredited institution and, as such, is treated the same as any other higher education credit-granting institution. Transcripts from CCAF must be submitted to the admissions office where you are applying. For more information, see the website.


Ohio’s Military Transfer Assurance Guides

Military Transfer Assurance Guides (MTAGs) provide a statewide guarantee that certain types of military training, experience, and/or coursework align to existing college and university courses and will be awarded appropriate credit. The complete list of MTAGs approved by the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) can be found at, click on "Military".


Military Coursework Reviewed at Kent State

Kent State University is committed to reviewing applicable credits approved by the American Council on Education to determine if they are equivalent to specific courses in our course catalog. To see the list of approved Military courses and occupations, you can view our growing list in the Transfer Guide by selecting "Domestic Schools" and then the demographics of "District of Columbia". Under the School Name field, select "Military Service Credits" and continue to click "Submit" until the results show in your browser. These are being updated often, and you can see which courses/occupations have been reviewed by faculty or the State of Ohio as noted by the "RVWD" indicator on the right.


Do you have more questions about what Kent State can do for Military Personnel?

Don’t hesitate to reach out to our Center for Adult and Veteran Services (CAVS) office. You can find their contact information here at