- Center for Student Involvement Advisors Expectations
- Center for Student Involvement Student Organization Manual
- Association of Fraternity Advisors Home Page
Becoming a Fraternity or Sorority Advisor
Each of our fraternity and sorority chapters on campus works with a team of alumni and faculty/staff advisors, who are an integral part of the chapter and each member's experience. The roles and responsibilities of an advisor include:
- Attendance at regularly scheduled meetings when possible.
- Holding regular meetings with officers to discuss organizational goals, assist with the development of programs, discuss the financial status of the organization, etc.
- Serving as a sounding board for the organization.
- Ensuring that the officers or contact persons meet University requirements for involvement in student activities.
- Supporting the group and its members.
- Becoming familiar with the group's history and traditions, as well as the constitution and bylaws.
- Being knowledgeable about appropriate University policies.
- Recognizing the general financial condition of the organization and encouraging the maintenance of sound financial records.
- Monitoring the group's functions and encouraging all members of the group to fully participate, assume appropriate responsibility for group activities, and to maintain a balance between academic responsibilities and co-curricular involvement.
- Considering the impact of activities the group wishes to engage in.
- Intervening in conflicts between group members and/or officers.
- Providing continuity and stability as leadership changes.
- Contacting the Center for Student Involvement to discuss organizational problems, concerns, plans, and changes in organizational status.
- Signing all documents which require an advisor's approval.
- Providing honest feedback to group members and positive reinforcement for accomplishments.
- Sharing their experience and expertise when appropriate.
- Providing an “outside” view or perspective.
If you have an interest in becoming a fraternity or sorority advisor, please contact Dasha Harris, Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life at email@example.com or at (330) 672-2480.
Join the KSU Greek Advisors Listserv
Did you know that the Kent State Greek Community has an e-mail listserv for fraternity and sorority chapter advisors? If you would like to be added to the listserv to receive information about upcoming advisor events and educational programs, please contact Dasha Harris, Coordinator for Fraternity and Sorority Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (330) 672-2480.