Mississippi Teaching Certifications

View Another State

Information currently listed:

  • Journalism Teaching Endorsement: Yes and No - In Mississippi high schools, teachers of Journalism are allowed to teach this course with a license in Journalism, or English, or Speech Communication.
  • Pass state assessment or certification test/s (tests needed): No - MS State Board of Education has not approved a Praxis test for Journalism. The endorsement is added to a standard license with coursework.
  • NCATE or National Accreditation required: Yes - All teacher education programs in MS are NCATE accredited. Those that complete those programs are licensed in other areas and add Journalism as a supplemental endorsement. The Journalism programs at those NCATE accredited institutions do not require a separate approval.
  • Accepts candidates from states participating in the NASDTEC Interstate Contract: Members of the NASDTEC Interstate Contract (all categories).

Resources currently listed:

Information from:

Cindy Coon, ccoon@mde.k12.ms.us

For additional questions, potential teachers can contact the Office of Educator Licensure at the MS Department of Education at 601-359-3483.