New Mexico Teaching Certifications

View Another State

Information currently listed:

  • Journalism Teaching Endorsement: Not specifically - To enable you to teach journalism in the grades 7th through 12th, you are required to complete a secondary teacher education program and have 24 semester hours of credit in journalism, language arts, etc. with 12 of those hours earned in upper division credit and pass the required exams for the license. Language Arts: includes poetry, theatre, rhetoric, literature, writing, communication, composition, drama, English grammar, speech, journalism, English linguistics, and reading, English as a second language, public speaking, and handwriting.
  • Pass state assessment or certification test/s (tests needed): NMTA For secondary license-#12
  • NCATE or National Accreditation required: Yes, you are required to complete the teacher education requirements to be eligible for a license. For alternative license, you may complete an alternative licensure program through a university or a portfolio through OPAL route.
  • Accepts candidates from states participating in the NASDTEC Interstate Contract: New Mexico DOES belong to the NASDTEC Interstate Contract (Teachers and Administrators).

Resources currently listed:

Information from:

Mary Lou Lovato,

Interested applicants can contact New Mexico State Department of Education at or call the information line at 505-827-5821 with further questions.