West Virginia Teaching Certifications

View Another State

Information currently listed:

  • Journalism Teaching Endorsement: Yes - A teacher assigned to each Journalism must either hold an English, English Language Arts, Language Arts, or a Journalism Endorsement. Journalism may be taught with an endorsement other than just Journalism. However, one of the listed endorsements is required.
  • Pass state assessment or certification test/s (tests needed): West Virginia does have an endorsement for 5-Adult and 9-Adult journalism, however, there is no test required for the content. There is a test for the English endorsement.
  • NCATE or National Accreditation required: National accreditation is not a requirement. A minimum of state accreditation and approval is required.
  • Accepts candidates from states participating in the NASDTEC Interstate Contract: West Virginia DOES belong to the NASDTEC Interstate Contract (Teachers, Administrators, Support Professionals and Vocational Educators).

Resources currently listed:

Information from:


For further information, contact the Curriculum and Instruction office here at the WVDE and the coordinator for English/Language Arts. The contact number is 304-558-8098, or visit the WVDE Curriculum and Instruction website.