Faculty are required to advise and counsel undergraduate and graduate students on academic matters. Individual faculty members are responsible for providing academic counseling to undergraduate students assigned to them and to other undergraduate students who seek such advice, as needed.  Student advising at the graduate level is conducted by the student's "major professor" and the student’s dissertation committee members. In order to assist in student advising, faculty members should   maintain   current   knowledge   of   University, College, and   Department   programs   and requirements.