Creating an accessible course
Key Points for designing an accessible course
- Properly captioned videos are marked with a CC Logo beside the video in YouTube.
- Automated captions provided by YouTube are never fully accurate and generally indecipherable.
- Properly captioned videos can help a multitude of students, not just those with disabilities.
- All video content housed within NBC Learn is always properly captioned.
Accessible Course Content
- Inaccessible PDF documents are indecipherable via screen reader.
- Alternative text for graphic images is vital in helping students who are using a screen reader understand information presented visually.
- Utilizing Heading Styles in Microsoft Word allows important information to be properly interpreted via screen reader.
- Creating accessible documents in Microsoft Word and converting to PDF is simple and only requires a few extra steps.
- Properly formatting Microsoft Word documents helps all students navigate the content, not just those using a screen reader.