LGBTQ Student Center Launches New Social Groups
This year was a busy and productive year for the LGBTQ Student Center. In 2018, The Center had nearly 6,000 contacts, coordinated 82 programs and events, and facilitated 70 training sessions; training nearly 1,700 individuals. We also hosted our largest and most successful Rainbow Run, which helped to raise nearly $4,000 for the LGBTQ Emergency Fund. We also raised over $11,000 in the Giving Tuesday campaign, which helped generate enough funds to help 22 LGBTQ+ students who are in financial crisis. Additionally, we worked with 25 student interns, who received trained and professional development opportunities. It was an exciting year, and we look forward to continuing this momentum into 2019.
During the Fall 2018 semester, two new social groups were launched. Led by our graduate assistant Jasmine Benson-Williams, Q’ommunity (LGBTQ+ social group) and TRANScend (Trans social group) both aim to foster a safe and inviting environment where members of the community can talk about related topics and participate in group discussions. In addition, each group gives students opportunities to meet new people and participate in fun activities. Snacks are provided at each meeting, as well as fun and thought provoking and self-reflecting activities! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or LGBTQSC@kent.edu to learn more.
Finally, we invite you to join us for the 2018 Lavender Graduation pre-commencement celebration. Lavender Graduation honors the achievements of graduating lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and ally (LGBTQ+) students at Kent State University. The event is free and includes dinner, keynote speaker, award certificates and more. This year, screenwriter, filmmaker and tv/radio host Michael Varrati will be speaking at the ceremony. Recognized for his work on Broadcasting Christmas, Tales of Pole and Flesh for the Inferno, Verratti is known for representing the LGBTQ+ community in his films. The 2019 Lavender Graduation will occur on Friday, April 5th, 2019, at 6pm in the Kent Student Center ballroom, following an LGBTQ+ Alumni Reception from 5-6pm in the Ballroom balcony. Email LGBTQSC@kent.edu to register.
Upcoming Spring 2019 Events
- Safe Space Ally Training- 2/27 2-4pm, Registration required: https://www.kent.edu/lgbtq/safe-space-ally-training
- Trans 101 Training- 4/18 2-4:30pm, Prior Safe Space Training and registration required: https://www.kent.edu/lgbtq/safe-space-ally-training
- Battle for the Wagon Heel; Drag Competition Fundraiser- 3/9, 9pm, Interbelt Nite Club, Akron
- Lavender Graduation- Dinner & Awards Pre-Commencement Celebration, 4/5 6-8:30pm, Kent Student Center Ballroom. Email: LGBTQSC@kent.edu to register
- LGBTQ+ Alumni Reception (prior to Lavender Graduation), 4/5 5-6pm, Kent Student Center Ballroom Balcony. Email: LGBTQSC@kent.edu to register
- Third Friday OUT, 5-7pm, Bricco Kent, Held each month on the 3rd Friday- 1/18, 2/15, 3/15, 4/19, 5/17. No need to RSVP!
- Film Friday at the LGBTQ Student Center from 1:30-3:30pm: 1/25, 2/15, 3/15, 4/12, 5/3.
- UNITE: Game Night, 1/31 4-6pm KSC Ballroom
- Crafternoon at the LGBTQ Student Center 3-5pm: 2/5, 4/25