Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement: For ECED P-3 State of Ohio license holders wanting to take the endorsement at the Graduate level
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022 (or until program reaches capacity)
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution (or up for May 2022 graduation)
- Minimum cumulative 3.000 GPA
- Official Transcript(s) - An official transcript or copy of an official transcript from each college or university in which the applicant completed 8 or more credit hours (undergraduate and graduate coursework as well as any coursework done while in high school). Kent State students do NOT need to submit transcripts for work completed at Kent State University. However, applicants must still submit transcripts for all post-secondary work completed elsewhere that is not already transcribed on your Kent State transcript.
- Goal statement (one-page statement, double-spaced, explaining why you are pursuing this program)
- Two recommenders (examples: faculty member, supervisor, principal) - It is highly recommended you use the online recommendation system.
- Evidence of valid Early Childhood P-3 teaching license from the State of Ohio (or up for May 2022 graduation)
There are 2 OPTIONS for admission to the Early Childhood 4/5 Generalist Endorsement Program. Please be aware that once you are admitted and registered, you cannot change your admission status.
OPTION 1: Apply to the Post-Undergraduate Non-Degree Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation Program and take the courses at the 40000-level and pay undergraduate tuition rates. Coursework can NEVER apply to a master’s degree program. If you received your bachelor’s degree from Kent State University and have not attended any other institution since leaving KSU OR you are a Spring 2022 Block 5 student graduating in May 2022, you do NOT need to apply for admission to the University; you can simply complete an Application for Undergraduate Re-Enrollment form and follow the instructions under Admission Option 1. Please email Katie Kozak (email@example.com) your admission documents; she will tell you the next steps in the admission process.
OPTION 2: Apply to the Graduate Non-Degree Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation Program and take the courses at the 50000-level and pay graduate tuition rates. A limit of up to 12 hours could be transferred into a degree program, if approved.
Optional Additional Graduate Application - For those who want to submit a second graduate application and apply to the Master of Education in ECED or Curriculum & Instruction (Curriculum & Teaching Studies or MCED concentrations) and take advantage of potentially building in the 14 hours of graduate (50000 level) 4/5 endorsement coursework. Admission documents can be shared between the two applications. Please contact the Graduate Licensure Advisor, Erin Harwood (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Admission Option 2: Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation Program Graduate Non-Degree (50000-level)
Coursework is to be taken at the graduate level (50000 level) and subject to graduate tuition rates.
The graduate admission process is handled online. Your application will be processed by the Division of Graduate Studies, our centralized graduate admission office. There is a $15 non-refundable application fee for the endorsement prep program.
Street Address: 800 E. Summit St., 161 Schwartz Center, Kent State University, Kent, OH 44242
Mailing Address (Transcripts): Graduate Admissions, P.O. Box 5190, Kent, OH 44242
Email (for questions/issues and Electronic Transcripts): email@example.com
Please contact Graduate Studies directly with any issues regarding the application or application process. For further assistance, please contact Erin Harwood in the College of EHHS Office of Graduate Student Services: firstname.lastname@example.org or 672-0583.
Hints on a few application prompts
For screenshots of these steps, download the PDF version of this page.
- From the KENT STATE UNIVERSITY APPLICATION PORTAL, you will either log in or create a new account to start the online application process.
- Under the “INITIAL QUESTIONS GRADUATE” tab - for which degree or credential are you pursuing, SELECT: Non-Degree Endorsement
- Under “ACADEMIC PLAN GRADUATE” tab, SELECT: Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation-Non-Degree (under the College of Education, Health and Human Services Endorsement Preparation)
- Then SELECT: Summer 2022 as your intended start term (this is a summer-only program).
- Under “REQUIREMENTS-EDUCATION ENDORSEMENTS/LICENSURES" - Answer the questions accordingly: SELECT YES to having a current, valid 4-YR Resident Educator or 5-Year Professional Ohio teaching license (select “YES” even if you are a current ECED UG who is student teaching and has yet to graduate or apply for licensure); TYPE your teaching licensure area (ECED PK-3); SELECT NO if you plan to pursue a degree simultaneously or YES if you plan to submit an additional application for the Master of Education in ECED or Curriculum & Instruction program; SELECT NO for pursuing additional licenses simultaneously (not possible during the same term).
- Under this tab - you will upload your Goal Statement, date/acknowledge the embedded QAL form, and upload a copy of your valid (unexpired) 4 Year Resident Educator or 5 Year Professional Ohio teaching license. If you are current ECED UG and are student teaching and have not yet graduated nor applied for licensure, in lieu of the teaching license please upload a screenshot of graduation application from Flashline OR upload a word document/pdf indicating the date you plan to graduate and apply for licensure (i.e. May 14, 2022).
- Under the “RECOMMENDATIONS” tab - you are asked to supply names and emails of two recommenders. It is highly recommended that you use the online recommendation system (electronic). The online system will automatically generate a recommendation request when you submit your application.
The academic program requirements are built into the application, and applicants cannot submit their application until after they have fulfilled all the application requirements. Once you submit your application and pay the application fee ($15, nonrefundable), you will no longer be able to edit the application. However, you can upload copies of OFFICIAL transcripts through the Application Status page (available once you submit your app/app fee). Please be aware that your application will not be forwarded to the College of EHHS for review until all outstanding requirements have been satisfied.
For those who wish to build the graduate endorsement coursework into a master's degree, please contact the College of EHHS Graduate Licensure Advisor, Erin Harwood (email@example.com) for further information. This will require a second application and fee; however, you can share admission documents between the two applications if you apply concurrently.