M.S. in Geology

Field Camp in the Black Hills, SDInformation on this page is summarized from the Earth Sciences Graduate Student Handbook. Printed copies are available upon request in the Department of Earth Sciences office, 221 McGilvrey Hall. 

Also see the Guide to Graduate Education at Kent State University for a summary of the policies and procedures for graduate education.


Requirements for Graduation

See University Catalog for details

Important Dates

There are several deadlines (including those for applying for graduation, completing the thesis/dissertation defense, and presentation of thesis/dissertation to the Office of Graduate Affairs, College of Arts & Sciences) that must be met in order to graduate in a timely fashion. If the student applies for graduation in one term and is delayed in finishing the work, it is necessary to file a re-application in the Office of Graduate Affairs, College of Arts & Sciences during the term in which graduation is anticipated.


Frequently Asked Questions

What options do I have when selecting formal coursework to fit my course of study?

The department requires 20 hours of formal coursework, including ESCI 60084 (1 credit). Keep in mind that in addition to the formal courses offered in the department, you have the following options available to help you develop the skills you need:

  1. You can take courses at the University of Akron, Cleveland State University, and Youngstown State University through the Memorandum of Understanding, without transfer. This widens your choice of coursework substantially. Fill out and submit this form well before you need to register for the desired course. Discuss this with the Graduate Coordinator and/or your Advisor.
  2. You can take courses in allied fields;  such as GIS or Remote Sensing courses in Geography; the Wetlands, Limnology, and Ecology courses in Biological Sciences; the Environmental Chemistry courses in Chemistry; computer programming courses in Computer Science; or relevant courses in Physics. See the Registrar's website for available courses by semester. Note: Please consult primary advisor before enrolling in cross-discipline coursework. 

Can I pursue two Masters degrees simultaneously or sequentially at KSU?

Yes, you can! You can share 12 hours of coursework between the 2 Masters programs.

Where can I go to get the thesis style guide and the necessary forms I will need as I progress through the program?

The KSU College of Arts & Sciences Style Guide and Instructions for Formatting Theses and Dissertations (updated Fall 2015) is available in the main Earth Sciences office. You can also access these materials from this website (see above), or at the appropriate page in the Arts and Sciences website. Libraries and Media Services also provides guidelines for preparing your thesis or dissertation to help you complete the process.

How much time do I have to complete my degree?

See the University policy for degree completionApplication for extension of time limits 

Information About Enrollment

The Department of Earth Sciences requires all Department and University-funded students to be enrolled full time (8 or more graduate credits) during the academic year. Students who are not funded by the department are recommended to be enrolled full-time to ensure that they make continued progress toward their degree and to save on tuition and fees by shortening their time to degree.

Each student writing a thesis is required to register continuously for Thesis I (6xx99) for a total of 6 credit hours. No more than 6 credit hours of Thesis I credit may be counted toward completion of degree requirements. Students who have completed course work (including 6 hours of Thesis I) and are no longer funded by the department, and are finishing their research, must register for 2 credits of Thesis II (60299) one term a year (fall, spring, or summer), and must be registered in the semester they graduate. Students not registered for at least one of three sequential terms will be dis-enrolled from the program.

 For additional enrollment requirements consult the University Graduate Catalog.