When to apply for a license?
The Ohio Department of Education and the Vacca Office of Student Services always recommends that students apply for licensure immediately following graduation regardless of whether they have secured a job in Ohio. Students who fail to apply for licensure within 12 months of program completion will have their coursework reviewed and may be subject to additional requirements (see #2 below).
1. Take the Educational Leadership Assessment
Toward the end of your program, you are required to take the Ohio Educational Leadership Assessment* by the Ohio Assessments for Educators. All principal and administrative specialist candidates take the same assessment. Please allow 3-4 weeks for the scores to arrive at Kent.
The Educational Leadership Assessment is a computer-based assessment with 70 multiple-choice questions, 3 constructed-response assignments, and 1 case study written assignment. The Assessment is 225 minutes long and a passing score is 220.
2. Complete Online Pre-Application for Licensure and Licensure Packet
- Once all final grades are posted for your licensure program and all licensure exams are passed, complete the online pre-application for licensure on the Student Portal which, once complete, will link to the online licensure application on the Ohio Department of Education website.
- The Pre-application MUST be completed for processing and review of the licensure application. The licensure packet has to be processed by the Vacca Office of Student Services (304 White Hall) or the license will not be approved.
- *Note: Application is due within 12 months of your program completion
- If more than 12 months have passed since the completion of your program coursework, you must complete the Applying for Licensure 12 Months or Later After Program Completion Form (PDF) and forward it to Dr. Tricia Niesz prior to applying for licensure.
- Because students are required to apply for licensure within 12 months of program completion to meet current state licensure standards further requirements may be specified on the form as determined by the program coordinator.
- You are now ready to complete the online Pre-application for licensure on the Student Portal (https://stuportal.ehhs.kent.edu/) which, once complete, will link to the online licensure application on the Ohio Department of Education website. The Pre-application MUST be completed for processing and review of the licensure application.
3. What needs to be on file in 304 White Hall before applying for licensure?
- Pre-application for licensure on the Student Portal which, once complete, will link to the online licensure application on the Ohio Department of Education's website.
- Passing test scores (Praxis II, OAE, ACTFL) required for licensure.
- Copy of prospectus or plan of study (not a transcript) listing licensure course requirements for graduate and non-degree students.
- Principal applicants must provide a letter from your school district verifying a minimum 2 years of employment and indicating the specific grade levels in which you have taught.
- Teacher Leader Endorsement applicants must provide proof of Master's degree completion if degree was completed at another university.
- Teacher Leader Endorsement and Superintendent applicants must provide a letter from your school district verifying 4 years of employment.
NOTE: If any of the above is incomplete or missing, the licensure application will be denied.
How to get the above documentation to 304 White Hall:
- Upload through the online pre-application for licensure on the Student Portal
- Email scanned copies to email@example.com
- Fax to 330-672-3549
- Drop off in person to 304 White Hall during the hours of 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday-Friday
- U.S. Mail:
- Vacca Office of Student Services
150 Terrace Drive
304 White Hall
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242
- Vacca Office of Student Services
If you have any questions, please call the Vacca Office of Student Services at 330-672-2862.
4. Background Checks and Fingerprinting
In order to add the licensure, a background check is REQUIRED by the State of Ohio. White Hall is home to the IRC (room 221) which provides fingerprinting services. Associated costs are:
- State: $25
- Federal: $30
- Both: $55
Please bring a check (made out to IRC @ KSU), cash, or money order. They do not accept credit/debit cards!