Advisory & Coursework

What is the role of the Advisory Committee?

The Advisory Committee works with the student to establish the Plan of Study. The committee requires the involvement of only two professors—both in HIED. The major advisor and second major advisor may be full or associate members of the Graduate Faculty; however, if the major advisor serves at the associate rank, the second major advisor must have full graduate faculty status.

What is a Plan of Study and when should it be submitted?

The Plan of Study identifies the courses you will take during your Ph.D. program, the members of the Advisory Committee, projected activities during residency, and the field of study you have selected for a minor, cognate, or concentration (optional). Once the Plan has been completed (with signatures), it must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Student Services (418 White Hall) no later than the beginning of the student's second semester of coursework.

Prior to comprehensive exams, a third person outside HIED must be added to the committee. This person may be either a full or associate member of the Graduate Faculty.

What GPA must I produce to maintain matriculation within the program?

Graduate students are expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA in all work at Kent and must earn a grade of "C" or better in each course. A student who receives 8 hours of "B-" or lower grades, or more than 4 hours of grades lower than a "C" is subject to dismissal.

If I receive a grade of B- or below, may I earn additional credit in the course to improve my grade?

No. Once grades are submitted, they are final and may not be changed except in cases of administrative error. Accordingly, allowing the student to do additional work, retake exams, or do extra credit will not change grades. Moreover, even in the case of administrative error where a grade change is permissible, the criteria used to determine the new grade must be the same as those applied to all students in the class.

How long do I have to complete a course where an "IN" grade was assigned?

Incomplete grades (IN) must be made up within one calendar year. Default grades, as selected by the professor at the time an "IN" is recorded, will be assigned following the one-year period if all assignments have not been completed.

How long do I have to complete course and dissertation requirements?

All requirements for the Ph.D. must be completed within 9 years. Course work and the candidacy exam must be completed within 5 years with 4 years then permitted for the dissertation. Note that the 9-year clock begins the first semester a student takes a course that will be counted toward the Ph.D. degree, even if the student has not yet been admitted to the program.

Is it ever possible to receive additional time to complete degree requirements?

Yes, but the College will permit an extension only when the student can provide a rationale for the request explaining why additional time is needed. If approved, the student also needs to submit a reasonable timeline that can be met. If the original timeline has expired and the extension is denied, the student will be dismissed. Note also that if at the time of request for an extension, the student has not completed comprehensive exams, the request for an extension will not be awarded.