Information for Prospective Students, Including Athletic Training Prerequisites
The Kent State University Athletic Training Program has a long tradition of excellence. The program has been guided and molded by several Ohio Athletic Trainers' Association Hall of Fame inductees as well as National Athletic Trainers' Hall of Fame inductees. Currently the program is administered by a faculty of five athletic trainers, three whom hold terminal degrees.
Read on to find our master’s in athletic training prerequisites so you can be fully prepared during the application process.
Master of Science in Athletic Training
Kent State has offered a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training that has been accredited for decades. In the Summer of 2019, the college will welcome its first cohort for the new Master of Science in Athletic Training. This program will advance the practice of athletic training through innovative courses with an approach built upon interprofessional education.
The new MSAT program will have immersive clinical education experiences where students will directly apply what they learn in the classroom.
Master’s in Athletic Training Prerequisites
If you are interested in the new MSAT you are encouraged to apply early. The following are the athletic training prerequisites for the MSAT program:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university for unconditional admission
- Minimum 3.000 undergraduate GPA on a 4.000 point scale for unconditional admission
- Completion of prerequisite courses with minimum C grade 1
- Official transcript(s)
- GRE or MCAT scores in the 50th percentile
- Goal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency - all international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning one of the following:
- Minimum 587 TOEFL PBT score (paper-based version)
- Minimum 94 TOEFL IBT score (Internet-based version)
- Minimum 82 MELAB score
- Minimum 7.0 IELTS score
- Minimum 65 PTE score
Students are expected to have prerequisite courses in the following areas, and all course work will be evaluated for acceptance:
- Basic Athletic Training
- Anatomy and Physiology - including Exercise Physiology
- General Psychology
Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training
Kent State offers a Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training. The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. The program underwent a comprehensive site visit and review in the spring of 2018. The CAATE determined that the program was in compliance with all 109 standards and awarded continuing accreditation for a 10-year cycle.
Information for students who wish to pursue the B.S. in Athletic Training can be found on our Pre-Professional Phase page. There, you can find the key athletic training prerequisites you need to complete prior to application.
To discover more about our athletic training programs, be sure to reach out to us today. We’ll respond promptly with answers to any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing from you!