Minors and Certificates

Minors Offered

The Health Education and Promotion Program (HEDP) offers minors in Human Sexuality and Community Health Education

The prospectus for the minor in Human Sexuality is as follows:

  • HED 32544 Human Sexuality (3)
  • HED 44025 Women's Health Issues (3)
  • HED 46057 Advanced Human Sexuality (3)
  • HED 47070 AIDS: Issues, Education, Prevention (3)
  • LGBT Studies (3)
  • Sexuality-Related Courses (of your choice, 6)

Total Hours Needed in Minor is 21.

This minor may not be chosen by a student majoring in School Health Education or Community Education. A minimum 2.5 grade point average is required in this minor.

The prospectus for the minor in Community Health Education is as follows:

  • HED 11570 Personal Health (3)
  • HED 11590 Community Health Education (3)
  • HED 21030 Introduction to Health Education (3)
  • HED 21050 Health Education Theories (3)
  • HED 32542 Methods & Application in HED (3)
  • HED 34050 Program Planning & Evaluation (3)
  • HED 42041 Health Counseling (3)
  • HED 32544 Human Sexuality (3) OR
  • HED 32530 Drugs and Health (3)

Total Hours Needed in Minor is 26.

A minimum 2.5 grade point average is required in this minor.

Undergraduate Certificate Offered

The Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Prevention Certificate program provides needed knowledge and credit hours for students who prepare to sit for the Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services exam to become a certified prevention specialist in the State of Ohio. The required course work is shown below:

  • HED11570 Personal Health (3 cr.) (Offered Online, every semester)
  • HED11590 Community Health (3 cr.) (Offered Online, every semester)
  • HED32530 Drug Use and Misuse (3 cr.) (Offered Online, every semester)
  • HED32542 Methods and Applications in Health Education (5 cr., offered every fall)
  • HED34050 Program Planning and Evaluation in Health Education (3 cr.) (Offered Online, every semester)
  • HED44550 Drug Abuse and Violence Prevention (3 cr.) (Offered Online, every spring)

For current KSU students, you can apply for this certificate program via undergraduate service. For non-current KSU students, there are options for you to enroll in these courses.

If You Are A Post-Undergraduate

Choose this option if you have received a baccalaureate degree from a college or university, yet wish to take additional undergraduate courses. There are two types of post-undergraduate applicants:

  • Post-undergraduate degree-seeking applicants – individuals interested in seeking an additional bachelor’s degree.
  • Post-undergraduate non–degree-seeking applicants – individuals just interested in taking additional undergraduate coursework.

Please Note: If you are a former Kent State University student who has not attended any other college or university since your prior enrollment, you do not need to reapply. Contact the Registrar’s Office, 330–672–3131 or visit the Admissions homepage of the Regional Campus you plan to attend.

If You Are A Guest

Select this option if you would like to take a limited number of undergraduate courses for credit. In order to apply as a guest, students must have graduated from high school, obtained a GED certificate or the equivalent, or be currently enrolled at another institution. Guest students can only enroll for up to 18 semester hours. Students cannot earn a degree as a guest student, nor can they apply for financial aid through Kent State. If you are taking courses at another institution, please consult with that financial aid office. 

Please visit the Admissions site for more details. 

Questions for the minors and/or the certificate [C133] programs please contact: Dr. Kele Ding at kding@kent.edu, or 330-672-0688. To apply one of the above minor or certificate programs, please refer to undergraduate application for detailed information.