FAQs | Kent State University
What are the program admissions requirements and procedures?

We have several different programs with different requirements, so you will want to find the one that you are most interested in. Check the general admissions link for information about the masters program and the doctoral program information for admissions information there.

I would like to talk with someone about the program. Who do I contact?

If you are considering applying to the Instructional Technology program, you should first look around this website to see if it has the information you need. If not, then the first person to contact is the Program Coordinator, Dr. Brad Morris, bmorri20@kent.edu, 330-672-0590.

What are the technology requirements for the programs and courses?

This is an Instructional Technology program in which you will be expected to use a variety of technologies, especially computers and online technologies. You should have a relatively up-to-date computer and a fast and reliable Internet connection, plus basic productivity software such as word processing and so on. Specific courses may have other requirements for hardware and software. Without these basics, then it will prove difficult or impossible to complete coursework, assignments, projects, and other parts of the degree programs.

Are any of the courses web-based?

Yes, many Instructional Technology courses are offered online, through the World Wide Web and other Internet technologies. In fact, by choosing the right courses and scheduling them correctly, it is now possible to take either the ITEC masters degree or the masters degree plus Computing/Technology endorsement entirely online.

I've never taken an online course. How does it work?

The experience of an online course varies according to the course and instructor. Most of them begin with an on-campus orientation session the first week of classes during any given semester. At this time you will learn how the course is set up, what the assignments are, where to find course materials on the Web, and so forth. After that, some courses are largely self-paced while others require you to "attend" class every week online, using a chat room or other technology. It all depends on the nature of the course, its requirements, and the instructor. You must work with your advisor to develop your program of study, which you then file at the Office of Graduate Student Services.

I have been assigned an advisor. What does that mean?

Great! You have been accepted into the program and are ready to begin. Usually you will want to start your coursework when the next semester begins. You should contact your advisor to find out what course(s) to enroll in first. Once you have begun that, you should get together with her or him to plan your complete program. Elsewhere on this website you will find the requirements for the various programs as well as downloadable copies of the Program of Study forms. Print them out when you go to see your advisor, who will help you decide what courses to take and when to take them.

Are there assistantships and teaching opportunities available?

There are a few assistantships available for Instructional Technology graduate students. You will need to apply at different places to be eligible for each one. You can apply at the Educational Foundations and Special Services department in 405 White Hall to compete for one of a handful of assistantships working with individual faculty members. You can apply at Academic Computing on the second floor of White Hall to work in the technology services group. There are also departments in Moulton Hall that often make use of our students. Again, you need to pursue each of these opportunities separately.

How will my work be assessed?

Most Instructional Technology courses use a variety of assignments and projects to assess students' knowledge and skills. Few of them have conventional tests such as midterms and finals. Check the links to specific courses on this website to see what the course syllabi and other materials say.

If I can't finish some coursework because of other commitments (or if I am late), can I take an Incomplete?

In general, you are expected to keep up with the work in the course as the semester progresses. Instructors follow the university rules for incomplete grades, which are given in cases where external circumstances prevent the completion of a course in the last few weeks of a semester while the student is up-to-date in the coursework.

How does the Practicum work?

For the two licensure endorsements, you need to complete an "Advanced Internship and Practicum." This involves working in a school setting appropriate for the endorsement. Usually you will be expected to do at least 50 hours of work for each credit hour of the practicum. When you start this course, you will be given more information about procedures and requirements.

What is the Portfolio Review and what should I include in my portfolio?

During your career as a student in KSU's Instructional Technology program you will do many different projects in your various courses. You should keep them, because your last semester you will take the one-credit Portfolio Review course. That course consists primarily of you bringing together your projects into a Web-based portfolio that shows the world what your Instructional Technology capabilities are. You should be able to show us your instructional design skills, your multimedia skills, your Web design and development skills, your visual design skills, your writing abilities, and more.

Are there services available for students with disabilities?

In accordance with University policy, if you have a documented disability and require accommodations to obtain equal access in this course, please contact the instructor at the beginning of the semester or when given an assignment for which an accommodation is required. Students with disabilities must verify their eligibility through the Office of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) on the Ground Floor of the DeWeese Center (330) 672-3391.

What facilities are available for students?

White Hall has a variety of facilities to support the use of technology in education and training, most of them available through the Academic Computing center on the second floor. There are labs, software, equipment, study areas, and more. University-wide, you can find library services, a writing center, and much more.