Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement (Grades 4-5)
About the Program
The Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation program is a 14-credit hour program for teachers holding a CURRENT Ohio Early Childhood P-3 Teaching License.
The Endorsement coursework is offered during the summer semester only. All courses are fully online from May 19-August 17, 2022. Current Kent State undergraduate ECED majors in the ECED professional sequence may complete the Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement after having successfully completed Block IV.
The endorsement coursework can be taken at the Post-Undergraduate level (40000-level) or at the Graduate level (50000-level).
Upon completion of the Early Childhood Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement coursework, candidates must complete and pass the following Ohio Assessments for Educators: Elementary Education Subtest I (Test code 018) and Elementary Education Subtest II (Test code 019). For more information and registration for the tests, please see the Ohio Assessments for Educators webpage.
To add the endorsement to the teaching license upon completion of the program coursework and licensure assessments, candidates must complete our Pre-Application process for licensure on the Student Portal, which once complete, will link to the online licensure application on the Ohio Department of Education website. The Pre-Application MUST be completed for processing and review of the licensure application.
2021-2022 (includes Summer 2022) Tuition Rates:
Please note: There is no flat rate for summer. Students pay the per credit hour rate for each credit hour registered.
UG Tuition Rate (OH Resident) - $465/cr hr*
GRAD Tuition Rate (OH Resident) - $536/cr hr*
*excludes any additional fees such as the online fee assessment
The Endorsement courses/workshops, if taken at the graduate level (50000-level), may be used toward the completion of a master's degree (there is a six year time-frame in which to do so) in:
- Early Childhood Education (no concentration)
- Curriculum and Instruction/Curriculum and Teaching
- Curriculum and Instruction/Middle Childhood
In most cases all 14 credit hours would count if you apply for both the Graduate Non-Degree Licensure Preparation Program and the Master's degree program at the same time: two separate applications and application fees, but you can share admission documents.
For further information on the ECED Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement Preparation program, please contact:
Erin Harwood, Graduate Senior Advisor/Licensure Specialist
email@example.com or 330-672-0583
Endorsement Schedule, Summer 2022
MCED 40045 (CRN 10638)/50045 (CRN 10639): Teaching Mathematics in the Intermediate Years - Grades 4-5 (3 hours)
Summer Intercession (May 19-June 8) - Hybrid. Meets in-person Mondays, 4-7 pm
MCED 46645 (CRN 10636)/56645 (CRN 10637): Critical Inquiry and Integration Content I - Science/Social Studies Grade 4 (3 hours)
Summer I (June 9-July 13) - 100% online, no set meeting times.
HDFS 41093 (CRN 13743)/51093 (CRN 13744): WKSP: Understanding “Tweens”: No Longer Children, Not Yet Teens (1 hour)
June 13-24, 2022 - 100% online, no set meeting times.
CI 40093 (CRN 13755)/50093 (CRN 13756): WKSP: Halfway Up the Stairs: Early Middle Level Education & Effective Teaching and Learning in Grades 4 -5 (1 hour)
June 27-July 8, 2022 - 100% online, no set meeting times.
CI 47504 (CRN 10640)/57504 (CRN 10641): Teaching Reading and Writing in Middle Childhood (3 hours)
Summer II (June 9 - August 3) - 100% online, no set meeting times.
MCED 47745 (CRN 10634)/57745 (CRN 10635): Critical Inquiry and Integration Content II - Science and Social Studies Grade 5 (3 hours)
Summer III (July 14 - August 17) - 100% online, no set meeting times.
Admission Requirements and Process
Attention: Spring 2022 Block IV Students!
For those Kent State ECED majors completing Block IV in Spring 2022 and completing Block V in Fall 2022, there is no admission process, but you need to follow these steps:
- Email Katie Kozak (firstname.lastname@example.org), Licensure Specialist in the Vacca Office of Student Services for notification of interest. She will confirm current registration in Block IV.
- Register through FlashLine for the 40000-level Generalist (Grades 4-5) Endorsement courses when Summer 2022 registration begins. This does not require any application nor any change in admission status. You can just register for the classes through FlashLine using the CRN# for the 40000-level offerings.
for those with a current ECED P-3 State of Ohio teaching license, or Spring 2022 Block V students up for May 2022 graduation:
- Bachelor's degree (or up for graduation in May 2022)
- Official transcript(s) - Kent State transcripts not required
- Minimum 3.000 cumulative (total undergraduate) GPA
- Goal Statement (one-page statement, double-spaced, explaining why you are pursuing this program)
- Two letters of recommendation (examples: faculty member, supervisor)
- Evidence of valid Early Childhood P-3 teaching license from the State of Ohio (or up for graduation in May 2022)
Please visit the following pages for information on the admission process: