Master's Degree in Reading
The M.Ed. in K-12 Reading/Literacy Specialization program develops practical and professional knowledge that is essential for educators concerned with the improvement of literacy at all instructional levels.
Download Overview of Program (PDF)
With this program, students study:
- The nature of the reading process
- The interrelationships between language, literature and literacy
- Literacy learning and teaching
- The nature and needs of students who find reading difficult
- Reading as a vehicle for learning and enjoyment
- The role of research in reading
The Reading Specialization Program prepares educators to:
- Teach students in classroom learning contexts, including reading in the content areas (grades K through adult). Example: A third grade teacher or a high school content area teacher wants to become more knowledgeable and skilled in the teaching of literacy.
- Teach students who have difficulties with reading (grades K through adult). Example: A teacher spends the majority of time working with students, usually in small groups or individually, who have difficulties in reading.
Prospectus for Reading M.Ed. (PDF) Schedule of Course Offerings (PDF) Vacca Scholarship for Teachers of Literacy
Admission to Reading Specialization Program
Complete the Kent State University online graduate application.
Please contact Dr. Morgan with any additional questions you may have: email@example.com .