Welcome Weekend Connects New Students to Kent State
By Marcus Donaldson
Welcome Weekend, Kent State University’s four-day new student orientation, will take place from Aug. 25-28. Students can select from approximately 50 different events from Thursday to Sunday. The weekend event helps students transition into the university community and learn about academic and social opportunities at Kent State.
“Welcome Weekend at its core is a program designed to connect students,” says Josh Perkins, assistant director of Student Success Programs at Kent State. “This program provides another opportunity after the Destination Kent State advising and registration program for students to connect with the university, their specific academic colleges, resources, faculty, staff and peers. Ultimately, Welcome Weekend is another way we intentionally seek to make the big institution small by providing opportunities for students to build relationships.”
Move-in day begins Thursday, Aug. 25, with several events continuing through Sunday, Aug. 28. Welcome Weekend is a requirement for first-year students, though students are not required to attend all events. Required events for students include:
Thursday, Aug. 25:
- 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. – Welcome Weekend Check-In (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
Friday, Aug. 26:
- 7 to 8 a.m. – Commuter and Off-campus Students Check-In (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
- 8 to 9 a.m. – Commuter and Transfer Student Informational (Kent Student Center Ballroom)
- 9:30 a.m. – Dean’s Welcome (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
- 10:30 a.m. – Convocation, Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (MAC Center)
- 1 p.m. – First-Year Experience Course First Meeting (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
- 2 p.m. – Common Reading Discussion (Various locations; students will get information at check-in)
Saturday, Aug. 27:
- 10 to 11 a.m. – THIS IS KENT STATE! (MAC Center; students participating in the Freshman Day of Service are exempt from this session)
An event that is not required, but students can enjoy, is the comedy hour with comedian Corey Rodrigues on Saturday, Aug. 27, from 10 to 11 p.m. in the Kent Student Center Ballroom.
Additionally, Blastoff, held on Sunday, Aug. 28, from 6 to 9:30 p.m., concludes Welcome Weekend. This event gives students the opportunity to learn about and connect with over 200 student organizations. Students also can enjoy hot air balloon rides, inflatables, music and a laser light show.
A complete listing of events and the schedule can be found online at http://www.kent.edu/success/welcome-weekend.
For more information about the 2016 Common Reading book, visit http://www.kent.edu/success/reading.