Kent State University is now processing all applications online. Here are the general procedure for all applications and program-specific guidelines for additional information.
- Start at the Kent State Admissions Application site: Apply Online.
- At this page scroll down to and click on "Graduate Admissions." If you are an international student, click on "International Admissions."
- At this page ("Step 1"), select the degree program type you are applying to: i.e. "masters" or "doctoral."
- Read and follow the instructions under "Step 2".
Domestic Student Applications
Domestic student applications are processed through "Graduate Studies (GS)" and all required materials should be sent directly to this address:
Graduate Studies or e-mail to email@example.com
650 Hilltop Drive
Kent State University
Kent OH 44242-0001
International STUDENT APPLICATIONS
International student applications are all processed through the Office of Global Education (OGE):
International Student Admissions or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
125 Terrace Drive
Kent State University
Kent OH 44242-0001
Transcripts must be sent directly by your current institution's Registrar to the appropriate address above. Additional information (such as guidelines for the Statement of Goals) is posted under each program in the department (use links below).
Proceed to "Step 3," which is Apply Now. Follow the instructions on the subsequent pages. (You may complete part of the application and return later to complete it if you need to do so: information will be saved.)
Submit or request submission of other application materials when required by your specific program:
- Statement of Purpose (200-500 words) may be submitted during online application process into a form provided; you may also mail your statement to Graduate Studies (GS) at email@example.com (International applications to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Request that your letters of recommendation be e-mailed or sent to GS at email@example.com (international applications to OGE at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Attach a writing sample, or e-mail or mail your writing sample (8-20 page essay) to GS at email@example.com (international applications to OGE at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Request transcripts from all colleges attended (sent directly by your registrar to GS).
- Application Fee (submit online)
- For International applications, submit TOEFL or equivalent to email@example.com. For more information, see English Language Proficiency.
Review Application Status
After you have submitted your application, you can always go back to Apply Now (login link at bottom of page) to view the status of your application to view which materials have been received and what is still missing from your application. Only completed applications will be considered for admission and/or assistantships.
Please indicate on the first line of your statement of purpose whether you are applying to the literary traditions, literary theory or Rhetoric and Composition focus. All applicants will be considered for a Graduate Assistantship.
Find specific application forms for Transient Graduate Students, Workshop-Only Students, Guest, Non-Degree, and Re-Application Graduate Students on the Apply Now website as well.
- MA Literature and Writing applicants seeking Graduate Assistantships or Fellowships: January 15th. The priority deadline is for receipt of all application materials. Please note that application materials, especially those submitted by other parties than the applicant, such as transcripts, and letters of recommendation, can take up to 2 to 3 weeks to reach and be processed by Graduate Admissions or the Office of Global Education. Applicants who wish to be considered for funding are strongly encouraged to begin the application process well in advance of the deadline.
- MA Literature and Writing applicants NOT seeking Assistantships are considered year-round. However, the program faculty must have adequate time before the start of the next term to read and evaluate applications, approximately 6 weeks in advance of the start of an admission term. As the start of academic terms shifts slightly each academic year, the deadline of 6 weeks shall be understood as the following:
- before the end of the first full week of December for admission in the following Spring term,
- before the end of the first full week of July for admission in the following Fall term.
Graduate Application Contact Information
- Graduate Coordinator: Christopher Roman 330-672-1757
- Graduate Secretary: Bee Viton 330-672-1708
- Graduate Studies GS 330-672-2661
- Office of Global Education OGE 330-672-7980