- Official transcript(s)
- International applicants submit the TOEFL or an equivalent English Proficiency Test.
- Three letters of recommendation
- A 1-2 page statement of purpose
English Language Proficiency Requirements for International Students: All international students must provide proof of English language proficiency (unless they meet specific exceptions) by earning a minimum 550 TOEFL score (79 on the Internet-based version), minimum 77 MELAB score, minimum 6.5 IELTS score or minimum 58 PTE Academic score. For more information on international admission, visit the Office of Global Education’s (OGE) admission website. See the English Language Proficiency page on the OGE web site for additional details on requirements, which may vary by country of origin or previous education.
GRE: As of application for Spring 2020 admission season, a GRE score report is no longer required for domestic applicants.
- Start at the Kent State Admissions Application site: Apply Now
- At this page scroll down to and click on Graduate Admissions if you are an international student, click on "International Admissions."
- At this page ("Step 1), select the degree program type you are applying to.
- Read and follow the instructions under Step 2.
DOMESTIC STUDENT APPLICATIONS
Domestic student applications are processed through "Graduate Studies (GS)" and all required materials should be sent directly to these addresses:
Graduate STUDENT APPLICATIONS
Graduate Studies (GS) or e-mail to email@example.com Cartwright Hall 650 Hilltop Drive Kent State University Kent, OH 44242-0001
international STUDENT APPLICATIONS
International student applications are all processed through the Office of Global Education:Global Education (OGE) or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Terrace Hall, 125 Terrace Drive, Kent State University Kent, OH 44242-0001
Transcripts must be sent directly by your current institution's Registrar to the appropriate address above. Additional information (such as guidelines for the Statement of Goals) is posted under each program in the department (use links below).
Proceed to Step 3 which is apply now. Follow the instructions on the subsequent pages. (You may complete part of the application and return later to complete it if you need to do so: information will be saved.)
Your Application will require these materials, sent to GS (or OGE if international applicant):
- 3 letters of recommendation (referees mail letters directly)
- TOEFL scores or equivalent English Proficiency for international applications (see list and links to OGE web site above).
- Transcripts from all colleges attended (sent directly by your registrar)
- Statement of Focus or Goals (200-500 words; submit by pasting into online application form or mail to GS or OGE if international applicant)
- Application Fee (Submit online)
Review Application Status: After you have submitted your application, you can always go back to Apply Now (login link at bottom of page) to view the status of your application to view which materials have been received and what is still missing from your application. Only completed applications will be considered for admission and/or assistantships.
- MA applicants seeking Graduate Assistantships or Fellowships: January 15.
- Deadline for receipt of all application materials is January 15th. Please note that application materials, including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and language proficiency scores may need to be processed or evaluated by Graduate Admissions. Applicants are encouraged to begin the application process well in advance of the deadline.
- MA applicants NOT seeking Assistantships or Fellowships are considered year-round
Graduate Application Contact Information
Kent State University
Graduate Studies Coordinator
Kent State University