A memorial observance to celebrate the life of our colleague and friend Kevin Floyd will be held on April 25 from 11:30 am to 2:00 pm in the lobby of the Integrated Sciences Building at Kent State University. Kevin’s family from Texas will be in attendance. Free parking is available in the adjacent Student Center visitor’s lot. Refreshments will be served. Please join us in remembering Kevin.
Before his untimely death in November 2019, Prof. Kevin Floyd at Kent State taught courses in literary and cultural theory, Marxism, gender studies, queer studies, and twentieth-century U.S. literature and culture. He was the author of The Reification of Desire: Toward a Queer Marxism (Minnesota 2009), and his articles have appeared in such journals as Social Text, Science and Society, Cultural Critique, Historical Materialism, and Rethinking Marxism. He received Fulbright and Alexander von Humboldt grants, and he was the president of the MLA-affiliated Marxist Literary Group.
Marxist Literary Group
Modern Language Association
American Studies Association
- “Automatic Subjects: Gendered Labor and Abstract Life.” <i>Historical Materialism</i> 24.2 (2016): 61–86.
- <i>Contemporary Masculinities in the UK and the US: Between Bodies and Systems</i>. Co-edited with Stefan Horlacher (London: Palgrave, 2017)
- “How to Subsume Difference, or World Reduction in Delany.” Mathias Nilges and Emilio Sauri, eds., <i>Literary Materialisms</i> (New York: Palgrave, 2013), 113-24
- “The Importance of Being Childish: Queer Utopians and Historical Contradiction.” <i>Works and Days</i> 59/60 (2012): 323-38.
- “Masculinity Inside Out: The Biopolitical Lessons of Transgender and Intersex Studies.” Stefan Horlacher, ed., <i>Constructions of Masculinity</i> (New York: Palgrave, 2011), 33-48.
- The Reification of Desire: Toward a Queer Marxism. University of Minnesota Press, 2009.
- “Unthinking the Future: Death, Utopia, and Childhood in Edelman and Adorno,” Cultural Logic, forthcoming.
- “Lukacs and Sexual Humanism.” Rethinking Marxism 18.3 (2006): 399-405.
- "Rethinking Reification: Marcuse, Psychoanalysis, and Gay Liberation." Social Text 66 (2001): 103-28.
- "Closing the (Heterosexual) Frontier: Midnight Cowboy as National Allegory." Science and Society 65.1 (2001): 99-130.
- "Making History: Marxism, Queer Theory, and Contradiction in the Future of American Studies." Cultural Critique 40 (1998): 167-201.