Why in Florence?

Having the Practicum in Florence, Italy offers students a practical Foreign Language setting for learning how to Teach English as a Foreign Language. Through Kent State's partnerships with local schools and universities, TEFL Certificate students can have a real-to-life experience as teachers of English as a Foreign Language. Kent State University has been educating students in Florence for more than 40 years, and the current home to the program is the Palazzo Vettori, which is a prestigious and ancient building located in the heart of Florence.

Is financial aid available for this program?

Financial aid is available to participants of the TEFL program. There may also be available scholarship opportunities. To learn more, contact the financial aid counselors below:

Financial aid support: semester options (spring or summer)

Contact Alana Thompson at abaudo@kent.edu.


Financial aid support: one-month practicum option (summer only)

Contact Laura Gaugler at lgaugle1@kent.edu.

Can I only teach in Italy with this certificate?

No, you can teach anywhere in the world. The education and training you receive in Florence, Italy can be applied in any country in the world where English is not spoken natively.

Where will I stay?

Students stay in apartments throughout the heart of Florence.  Apartments are fully furnished with bed linens, a kitchen, washing machine, tv, and wifi. Students will need to bring their own towels.  Apartments are shared with two to eight other students in the program, and it is possible to submit a roommate request.

Where can I travel?

From Florence, you have easy access to much of Europe. It is possible for students to travel independently while in Florence.  Classes meet Monday through Thursday, so each weekend allows three days to visit a dream destination. Kent State Florence staff can offer advice on where to go and how to get there.

Do I need a passport to enter Italy?

Yes.  You need a valid US passport to enter Italy.  The recommended time frame for securing a passport is 2 months. If you are a US citizen and you stay in Europe for less than 90 days, you do not need a visa. However, if you are an international student (non-US passport holder) or a US passport holder who wishes to stay longer than 90 days, contact Amber Cruxton (acruxton@kent.edu).

(Note: You must have a valid passport to participate in this program. The recommended timeframe for securing a passport is 2 months. Click here for information about applying or here for renewing a passport.)

How do I obtain a passport?
Do I need a visa to enter Italy?

People with US-issued passports are allowed to stay in Europe for up to 90 days without applying for a Visa. US passport holders who plan to stay in Europe longer than 90 days must apply for a visa. If you hold a passport from another country, you may need a visa to enter the European Union.  If you are an international student (non-US passport holder), or a US passport holder who wishes to stay longer than 90 days during the summer, contact Amber Cruxton (acruxton@kent.edu).

Where can I work afterwards?

At Kent State University, you complete your practicum in Florence, Italy, but with the TEFL Certificate you receive, you can teach anywhere in the world. English speaking teachers are sought worldwide. Work can be found in almost any part of the world; job offerings in East Asia are especially common. If you are not ready to teach abroad this year, no worries; the TEFL Certificate does not expire.

Where can I find job offerings?
  1. ESL Base
  2. Dave's ESL Cafe
  3. TEFL Professional Network
  4. Official TESOL Website
  5. Google (A search for "TEFL jobs" will find many useful websites)