Farris Family Innovation Awards
Thanks to the generosity of the Farris Family, strong supporters of the University, the Kent State University Foundation maintains an endowment to support the research of tenure-track faculty members who are not yet tenured. That endowment creates annual income sufficient to support several Farris Family Fellowships. Because the term of the fellowship is three (3) years, or until a determination on tenure for the Fellow is complete, the University usually has the opportunity to appoint at least two (2) members of the faculty as Farris Family Fellows each year and we are in a position to award three (3) Farris Family Fellowships for academic year 2014-2015.
Each research fellowship offers a maximum of $8000 for each of the three years, for a potential total of $24,000 over the life of the Fellowship. These funds must be applied to the Fellow’s research and may support travel, equipment, materials, and other approved costs directly associated with the research. Although a faculty member’s appointment as a fellow may be considered by a department in the allocation of reassigned time for research, funds from this endowment may not be used to purchase reassigned (released) time from classroom teaching.
The University now seeks to appoint three Farris Family Fellows for academic years 2014-15, 2015-16 and 2016-17 and invites applications from tenure-track (not yet tenured) faculty members. The format of the application is simple. In an e-mail of 1000 words or less to Sue Averill, Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs (email@example.com) you should respond to the following questions:
- What is the title and nature of the research you seek to support through this fellowship? How will your research contribute to your scholarly productivity?
- What is your research plan? What are you attempting to accomplish, and how will you know that you have accomplished it? How much time will the research require? At what stage is this research? How much have you accomplished to date? How much more time is required?
- Have you submitted your research plan for review by the University’s Office of Research and Sponsored Programs or a funding agency? Have you sought other support? Have you received any other support?
- In what ways would the Farris Family Fellowship support your research? If you have received other support, would this fellowship provide a margin critical to your success?
- Is there other information the review committee should consider?
Applicants are encouraged to have their proposals reviewed by a senior faculty member, mentor or academic administrator prior to submission. The applications will be screened by the University Research Council (URC). Please ensure the proposal is comprehensible to faculty members who are not in your discipline. Based on URC’s recommendations, President Lefton will make the final awards. Recipients of this fellowship must accept an obligation to report annually on fellowship activity and results. This report will be sent to the Office of Faculty Affairs who will share it with the Provost, President and the Farris family. The Fellow should provide a copy of the report to the Department Chair/School Director, College Dean and Regional Campus Dean, as applicable.
The deadline for this year’s applications is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 24, 2014 (LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED). Recipients will be named sometime in May, 2014 with funding available for use during the 2014-2015 academic year.