Policies and Procedures for FTNTT Renewal of Appointment
The following information is supplemental to the Full-Time Non-Tenure Track Collective Bargaining Agreement and the University Policy Register, and is specific to the CAE.
- Appointments for full-time non-tenure track (FTNTT) faculty are governed by the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement and are made annually. Renewal of appointment is contingent upon programmatic need, satisfactory performance of previously assigned responsibilities, and budgeted resources to support the position.
- Full Performance Reviews
The Full Performance Reviews of FTNTT faculty members who are in their third or sixth year of consecutive employment are governed by the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement. Each academic year, guidelines for the Full Performance Reviews for FTNTT faculty are distributed by the Office of the Provost. The Full Performance Review concludes with the College’s level of review and determination. The period of performance to be reviewed is the three full academic years of consecutive appointments including that portion of the third appointment which is subject to evaluation and assessment at the time of the review. Each FTNTT candidate who must complete a Full Performance Review will submit a dossier as described in the Full-Time Non-Tenure Track Collective Bargaining Agreement. The file should contain at least an updated curriculum vitae, self-evaluation of performance, syllabi for courses taught during the review period, SSI summaries for courses taught during the review period, and supporting documents as necessary for other accomplishments such as citizenship, if it exists. SSIs are only evaluated relative to the faculty member’s performance regarding assessing information from the SSIs and incorporating changes if necessary.
- “Simplified” Performance Review
FTNTT faculty members who are in their ninth year, 12th year, and 15th year of consecutive employment must successfully complete a “simplified” performance review as described in the Full-Time Non-Tenure Track Collective Bargaining Agreement. Each academic year, guidelines for the “simplified” performance reviews for FTNTT faculty are distributed by the Office of the Provost. The “simplified” performance review concludes with the College’s level of review and determination. The period of performance to be reviewed is the three full academic years of consecutive appointments including that portion of the third appointment which is subject to evaluation and assessment at the time of the review. FTNTT faculty who must complete a “simplified” performance review will submit documentation as described in the Collective Bargaining Agreement in effect at the beginning of the review period unless the faculty member chooses to use the current CBA. SSIs are only evaluated relative to the faculty member’s performance regarding assessing information from the SSIs and incorporating changes if necessary.
- Administrative Performance Review
After completion of the Simplified Review required at the 15th year, and each 3-year renewal period thereafter, FTNTT faculty will undergo an Administrative Performance Review in place of the Simplified or Full reviews. The CAE Dean will schedule a meeting with the FTNTT Faculty member who will submit a current Vitae and 1-3 page narrative to the Dean, prior to the meeting, describing his/her professional activities in the last three years. After the meeting and/or consultation with the CAE Dean, the Dean will provide the FTNTT Faculty member with a written summary of the outcome and conclusions of the meeting. The written summary will provide either a notice of the expectation of renewal of appointment and the conditions as of the renewal per the requirements of the CBA, or it will provide a notice of non-renewal and the associated circumstances/conditions per the requirements of the CBA.
- Performance Review Criteria and Policies
- Full-time non-tenure track (FTNTT) faculty are reviewed by a committee comprised of FTNTTs from the CAE. The committee will be selected by the Dean from volunteers. The Dean can assign FTNTTs to the committee if there are no volunteers. Every attempt will be made to have at least five members on the committee but in no case less than three members. Evaluation will be on the specific criteria outlined in their letter of appointment and annual load letter, including consideration of the track (Instructional, Clinical, Practitioner or Research) to which the FTNTT faculty member is assigned.
- An inherent part of the review process is to provide feedback to the FTNTT faculty member based on clear and consistent performance criteria. Renewals of appointment and salaries for FTNTT faculty will be tied to performance within the parameters established in the FTNTT Collective Bargaining Agreement. Rubrics for the assessment of teaching performance, recruitment and/or retention, and research if on a research track, etc. will be developed and shared with the candidate, and used to evaluate performance. Evaluation of Student Assessment of Instruction is only with respect to how the FTNTT addressed the information from the SSIs and any changes made. Faculty are encouraged to demonstrate this in the narrative of their renewal file. FTNTT faculty under simplified reviews, i.e. years 9 and continuing, are encouraged to submit peer reviews to document performance but do so at their own discretion.
- The College’s FTNTT Review committee will discuss each FTNTT faculty member who is under review. The FTNTT faculty member’s dossier will serve to document the faculty member’s performance. Performance reviews should ensue with a holistic approach which reflects the highest standard of professional integrity and ethics.
- The College's FTNTT Review committee will forward via FlashFolio its recommendation on renewal of appointment to the College Dean who will make an independent assessment of the candidate’s performance. The review process should be as transparent as possible with the candidate receiving information from the Dean as to the committee deliberations and the recommendation made to the Dean according to the time schedule established in the Full-Time Non-Tenure Track Collective Bargaining Agreement and the University Policy Register. The results of the committee’s review will be provided in FlashFolio in accordance with the FTNTT Collective Bargaining Agreement and the University Policy Register provisions.
- A statement of performance will be issued by the Dean for those faculty members in their first and second year of appointment, followed by a meeting with the Dean which will occur within sufficient time for any noted deficiencies to be corrected prior to the review. The intent is to prepare the faculty member for a successful first full performance review. Nonrenewal of an appointment which results from programmatic or fiscal needs should be distinguished from nonrenewal of appointment which results from performance issues when communicated to the candidate. FTNTT faculty members whose appointments will not be renewed must be notified by the timelines established in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement whether lack of satisfaction with performance or the absence of anticipated continuing programmatic need or budgeted resources to support the position is the reason.