Students, both undergraduate and graduate, are of primary concern to all faculty members, and students' academic needs are of primary importance to the College. Student participation in various College committees may include the College Curriculum Committee (CCC), the Graduate Faculty Advisory Committee (GFAC), and those ad hoc committees where students' viewpoints are useful and appropriate. Student appointments to committees are made by the Dean in consultation with the CAC and the faculty members involved in and affected by a specific committee's work.

  1. Advising

    1. Faculty are required to advise and counsel undergraduate and graduate students on academic matters. General advising at the undergraduate level is coordinated by the Undergraduate Advisor who serves as the College representative for College and University functions related to undergraduate programs and activities. Individual faculty members are responsible for providing academic counseling to undergraduate students assigned to them and to other undergraduate students who seek such advice, as needed. Student advising at the graduate level is conducted by the student's assigned "specialization area” faculty advisor and, as applicable, the student’s thesis committee members.
  2. Student Grievances and Academic Complaints

    1. The University’s policies and procedures which govern student grievances and student academic complaints are included in the University Policy Register. Additional information regarding college-level procedures and policies associated with student academic complaints is provided in Section I.4.4 (Student Academic Complaint Committee (SACC)) of this Handbook. 
  3. Transfer Credit Procedure

    1. The Academic Program Area Coordinator/Director is responsible for the evaluation of undergraduate transfer credit and may consult with a faculty member who teaches the specific course or courses at issue. Questions of transfer credit for other subject areas should be referred to the College office. 
    2. Graduate transfer credit is evaluated according to the process described in the University’s current Graduate Catalog. Both master's and doctoral transfer credit may be accepted if the criteria are met, and the Graduate Coordinator and the Dean approve the transfer credit.
  4. Privacy of Student Records

    1. The Dean is responsible for ensuring that all members of the College comply with all laws and University Policies which govern the privacy of student education records, including but not limited to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). These regulations require, among other things, that faculty members keep thorough academic records and forbid the posting of grades by name, social security number or any other system which might identify a student with her/his education record. For further information, contact the University’s Office of Legal Affairs.
  5. Student Surveys

    2.     All courses are evaluated each semester, including summer sessions, using the approved Student Survey of Instruction (SSI). The policies and procedures for conducting the SSI are specified in the University Policy Register.