Faculty Grievance and Appeal Procedure

  1. Informal Procedure

    Any Faculty member who believes that he/she may have a grievance is strongly encouraged, before initiating a formal grievance or appeal, to talk with the Associate Dean who is responsible for overseeing the Faculty member’s program or the Dean about any issue(s) of concern.  The Dean may seek the advice and recommendation of individual Faculty members or Faculty groups in seeking informal resolution of a dispute or complaint.
    The College seeks to resolve all disputes informally, whenever possible, before the filing of a formal grievance.  A key to successful resolution of disputes is open communication.  The Dean shall make a reasonable effort to meet with the parties involved and reach an equitable resolution of the grievance in an informal manner.

  2. Formal Procedure

    If no resolution has been achieved through informal procedures, then formal procedures may be initiated.  Formal procedures for addressing grievances affecting the terms and conditions of employment of Faculty are described in the applicable CBA. Disputes involving substantive academic judgments are subject to a separate academic appeals process described in the applicable CBA.