College Advisory Committee (CAC)
The purpose of the College Advisory Committee is to fulfill the requirements of the Collective Bargaining Agreement in relation to faculty participation in College governance and to advise the dean.
- The membership shall consist of all Kent and Regional campus CON tenured/tenure-track Faculty members, and three Kent campus FTNTT faculty members who are elected by the FTNTT faculty.
- Three FTNTT representatives will be elected for two-year terms from the FTNTT faculty. One member should be from a Regional Campus. One member shall be elected in the odd years and two members elected in the even years.
- The dean shall be an ex-officio non-voting member and, in accord with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, shall serve as presiding chairperson.
- Elect a convener from the T/TT faculty at the first meeting of the academic year to:
- Preside at meetings in the absence of the dean;
- Consult with the dean in preparation and distribution of agenda;
- Distribute minutes to CON faculty in a timely fashion as mandated by the CBA; and
- Prepare and submit a summary report of Committee’s actions during the academic year prior to the start of the next academic year.
- Act as an advisory and recommendatory body to the dean on academic budget, personnel and other matters as described by the CBA, including, but not limited to:
- issues concerning reappointment, tenure, promotion and dismissal of T/TT and FTNTT faculty;
- appointment of new faculty, including issues of rank and salary parameters;
- performance reviews of FTNTT faculty;
- allocation or re-allocation of faculty and academic staff positions including new and vacant positions;
- program development, restructuring, and/or discontinuance;
- establishment or modification of course and/or section enrollment caps;
- requests and recommendations relating to faculty salary increases and other salary adjustments, when and if applicable;
- unit-level planning and budget priorities, including review of requests for new funding and allocation of discretionary resources;
- selection and structure of committees, including search committees;
- issues related to teaching assignments and class schedules including appropriate application of workload equivalencies;
- Faculty professional improvement, research and other leaves;
- procedures for the establishment, review and revision of the academic unit’s section of the Faculty Handbook;
- issues related to the advising and retention of students;
- adherence to instructional standards; and
- fulfillment of class and other duties of T/TT and FTNTT faculty members.
- Discharge all responsibilities attributed to independent school/college advisory committees in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Elect a representative from the group to the Provost Advisory Committee.
- Appoint ad hoc committees of the faculty for assistance in carrying out its functions when necessary.
- Review and revise the Faculty Handbook in accordance with procedures specified in the CBA.
- Elect/appoint T/TT faculty members to College of Nursing Committees, and receive recommendations for FTNTT committee membership from CAC FTNTT representatives. All interested FTNTT will be placed on a FTNTT ballot.
- Maintain a record of faculty committee membership and terms of office.
- Meet 2 times/month during the academic year.
- A quorum, a simple majority of voting members (the majority of whom are T/TT faculty), is required for conducting committee business.
- Passage of a motion requires an affirmative vote of a simple majority of the members present and voting.