The Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC)
The FAC is the primary advisory and recommendatory body to the Department Chairperson on academic matters which are central to the Department’s mission. According to the tenure-track Collective Bargaining Agreement (Article VI, Section 3B), such matters include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Issues concerning reappointment, tenure, promotion and dismissal;
- Appointment of new faculty, including issues of rank and salary parameters;
- Review of full-time non-tenure track faculty;
- Allocation or re-allocation of faculty positions and academic staff positions including new and vacant positions;
- Program development, restructuring, and/or discontinuance;
- Evaluations relating to faculty salary increases and other salary adjustments, when and if applicable;
- Departmental planning and budget priorities, including review of requests for new finding and allocation of discretionary resources;
- Faculty professional improvement, research and other leaves;
- Procedures for the establishment, review and appropriate revision of the academic unit handbook;
- Issues relating to the advising and retention of students;
- Insuring that instructional standards are followed; and
- Insuring that class and other duties of Faculty members are met.
Currently, the FAC consists of all tenured and tenure-track faculty members of the Department.
The tenure-track Collective Bargaining Agreement (TT-CBA) provides that the faculty of the Department insure that Regional Campus (RC) faculty are appropriately represented on key Department and College committees, including but not limited to the FAC, the CAC, the RTP Committee, Search Committees, Review Committees, and committees considering curriculum, department or college policy, instructional standards, and program development (Article VI, Section 6A of the TT-CBA).
The TT-CBA also provides that the tenured and tenure-track faculty of the Department shall decide whether and to what extent full-time non-tenure (NTT) track faculty shall be represented on the FAC (Article VI, Section 3A of the TT-CBA). The TT-CBA encourages departments with five or more full-time non-tenure track faculty to elect at least one representative of the full-time, NTT faculty to the FAC. If the Department elects to include NTT faculty as members of the FAC, these members shall not participate in deliberations and vote on personnel matters regarding tenure track faculty.
The FAC is chaired by the Department Chairperson who is responsible for preparing the minutes. The approved minutes of these meetings are to be distributed to Department faculty and the Dean of the College of Business Administration (CBA)/Graduate School of Management (GSM). The FAC will meet at least once each month in September, October, November, February, March, and April. Additional meetings will be scheduled as needed or as specified in the CBA. Agenda items may be submitted by faculty prior to any meeting or introduced during a meeting. A simple majority of the FAC constitutes a quorum. The FAC will select one of its members each year to serve as the Department representative to the College Advisory Committee (CAC). The FAC may meet in the absence of the Department chairperson as specified in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.