The Department Chairperson is the chief administrative officer of the Department (Appendix I) and is directly accountable to the Dean of the College. The Chairperson is responsible for recording, maintaining, and implementing the policies and procedures stated in this handbook, in regular and thorough consultation with the faculty and its committees. Among the Chairperson's duties are the following:
- Enforce University regulations.
- With appropriate consultation, develop and carry out administration and educational policies in the Department.
- With appropriate consultation, develop Departmental budget.
- Recommend new staff appointments to the Dean and recommend the promotion or placement on tenure of members of the Department who are eligible and qualified.
- Recommend, with documentation, the severance of individuals deemed not worthy of permanent appointment. (Final official notification to the individual is conveyed in writing by the President after consultation and review through appropriate procedures.)
- Appoint and direct the nonacademic staff of the Department.
- Recommend leaves of absence.
- Supply prompt notification to the office of the Dean of absence or resignation of a faculty member.
- Recommend course changes always through the appropriate Dean or Deans if more than one College is intimately involved.
- Distribute teaching assignments, schedule class hours and rooms within allocation, and prepare and supervise reports to appropriate University officials.
- Maintain custody of University property charged to the Department.
- Supervise the academic counseling of student majors in the Department.
- Notify the President's Office, through channels of needs of the Department for which gifts or bequests should be sought or are being sought.
- Perform other tasks, all of which cannot be cataloged, such as noting the progress of graduates, maintaining relationships with the Regional Campuses, inducting new faculty, developing brochures of course syllabi, etc.
- Maintain good communications and morale within the Department with special attention to the several biological disciplines and to the Regional Campuses.
- Represent the Department and communicate the general views of its faculty in College and University affairs.
- Keep the Department informed of the views and policies of the College and University administrations.
- Maintain appropriate balance and emphasis among the various subdisciplines of the Department.
The Department Chairperson is an ex officio, non-voting member of all Department committees, and makes appointments as necessary to the committees and to the various service positions in the Department.
The selection, review, and reappointment of the Department Chairperson are the responsibility of the Dean of the College, who consults with the Department on such matters. The procedures are governed by the University Policy Register (UPC) and the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).