Faculty Grievance and Appeal Procedure

The Collective Bargaining Agreement, Article IV, specifies the necessary procedures for a member of the University Faculty to file a grievance or an appeal. Appeals of academic decisions (e.g., reappointment, tenure, or promotion) follow the normal governance line of College, Dean, Provost and Academic Vice President before a contractual grievance may be filed. Faculty members, accompanied if necessary by the Department's  representative  to the KSU chapter of the American Association of University Professors, should confer with the Department Chairperson if they feel they are being treated unfairly.