Appointments for FTNTT faculty are governed by the FTNTT CBA and are made annually. Renewal of appointment is contingent upon programmatic need, satisfactory performance of previously assigned responsibilities, and budgeted resources to support the position.
Renewal of Full Time Non-Tenure Track Faculty
Although it is not required for FTNTT faculty in their first and second year of employment to submit a file, it is, however, recommended to prepare reappointment materials early. Submitting a renewal file to the home department in some cases is optional (the faculty member should check with his/her home department). Files are submitted electronically via FlashFolio.
- FTNTT faculty who have completed three or six consecutive academic years of annually renewable contracts shall be subject to a Full Performance Review during the third and sixth year respectively before an additional appointment can be anticipated or authorized. Files are submitted on FlashFolio for the Full Performance Review.
- The performance review, according to the FTNTT CBA, will follow the procedures and timelines established by the University as annually distributed through the Office of the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs. The FC Chair will convene the Ad Hoc RPT Committee, comprised of tenure-track and one non-voting FTNTT member during the review period to discuss and vote on reappointment files, and the FC Chair will submit a written summary for each candidate and forward it to the Campus Dean.
Materials for the Full Performance Review include but are not limited to the following:
- cover letter providing an overview of the candidate’s activities;
- up-to-date curriculum vitae;
- list of courses taught during the review period;
- most recent syllabi;
- complete student evaluations from the last year and summaries of student evaluations for the review period;
- one peer review from the last year (the reviewer is chosen by the candidate, should be tenured, and have knowledge of the subject area);
- other materials as the candidate chooses, such as self-evaluation, unsolicited letters of commendation, information pertaining to instructional effectiveness; for example, multi-media presentations, innovative teaching strategies, significant handouts, and other responsibilities, such as program administration and advising.
If the FTNTT faculty member has any administrative responsibilities, documentation associated with these duties should also be included. If the FTNTT faculty member has participated in any professional conferences and/or published in professional journals, these are also considered. However, because of the instructional nature of FTNTT positions, instructional quality will be the primary criterion for the review. Therefore, any service to the Campus, University, and/or professional organizations will be considered as extraordinary effort. The FC Chair will convene the Ad Hoc Renewal Committee during the review period to discuss and vote on reappointment files, and the FC Chair will submit a written summary for each candidate and forward it to the Campus Dean.
The FTNTT CBA also provides for a “Simplified” Performance Review” for faculty who are in their ninth year of consecutive employment or in the third year of a three-year term of annual appointment beyond the ninth year. This “Simplified” Performance Review” requires electronic submission on Flash Folio of the documents described in the FTNTT CBA.
Review of FTNTT faculty in the ninth and subsequent period of three years is a simplified review.
The FTNTT CBA also provides for a “Full Administrative Review” for faculty who are in their eighteenth year of consecutive employment. This “Full Administrative Review” requires electronic submission on Flash Folio of the documents described in the FTNTT CBA.