Faculty Grievance and Appeal Procedures

A. Informal Procedure


Any faculty member who believes that he/she may have a grievance is strongly encouraged, before initiating a formal grievance or appeal, to talk with the Director about any issue(s) of concern. The Director may seek the advice and recommendation of individual faculty members or faculty advisory groups as well as the Dean in seeking informal resolution of a dispute or complaint.


B. Formal Procedure


Formal procedures for addressing grievances affecting the terms and conditions of employment of faculty are described in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement. Disputes involving substantive academic judgments are subject to a separate academic appeals process governed by the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.


Faculty grievances that are not directly related to the terms or conditions of employment and that are not academic appeals are appropriately addressed within the School, whenever possible. The Director and/or faculty members will initiate an informal dialogue with all parties involved in a dispute and strive to reach a resolution agreeable to all parties.