Goals and Mission of the School of Music
The primary objectives of the School are to:
1. Create an academic environment that promotes the intellectual and professional development of students and faculty;
2. Develop and maintain a commitment to scholarly and creative activity, graduate education, and undergraduate education that is commensurate with the goals and mission of Kent State University;
3. Provide programs for all students that meet the educational and technological demands of the disciplines represented in the School;
4. Offer courses in cognate academic disciplines and professional fields that provide the necessary base for the career goals of students and faculty; and,
5. Provide the public with service commensurate with a University.
Implicit in these objectives is our responsibility as teachers, which includes but is not limited to, educating undergraduate and graduate students and providing continuing education while promoting and clarifying the role and philosophy of education.
A strong commitment to scholarly and creative activity means creating and maintaining a significant intellectual environment and achieving our broader commitments to the advancement of knowledge and service to the public.
Service to the University and to the general public unifies and clarifies the role of the University in the local community, in the State of Ohio, in the nation, and is valued within the School, the College and the University.