The Department Chair (hereinafter “Chair”) is the chief administrative officer of the Department. She/he is responsible for recording, maintaining, and implementing the policies and procedures stated in this Handbook through regular and thorough consultation with the Department faculty and the Department’s various committees.
The Chair provides leadership to the Department and, in consultation with the Assistant to the Chair, FAC and Undergraduate and Graduate Coordinators, makes administrative and policy decisions affecting the Department. She/he reports to the Dean of the College of Business Administration, and has the responsibility and carries the authority including but not limited to the following:
- develops, coordinates, plans, and provides leadership for all academic programs and professional activities housed in the Department in a manner consistent with the mission of the University, the College, and the Department and is mindful of the quality and breadth of programs supported by the University, the College, and the Department;
- enforces University and College regulations, policies, and procedures in conformity with the University Policy Register, the College Handbook, and terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement;
- with appropriate consultation, develops, maintains, and implements the administrative and educational policies of the Department in accordance with the provisions of the Department Handbook;
- implements personnel policies on matters such as recommending to the Dean new faculty and staff appointments, reappointments and non-reappointments;
- interviews new faculty designated to teach M&IS curriculum at the Regional Campuses and implements personnel action to the Deans of the Regional Campus and the College of Business Administration;
- tenure and promotion; and leaves of absence and faculty improvement leaves;
- bears the responsibility for management of the Departmental office, including supervision of nonacademic Departmental staff;
- bears the fiscal responsibility for the Department;
- bears the responsibility for allocating Departmental resources, including office space;
- maintains custody of University property charged to the Department;
- with appropriate consultation, recommends curricular changes;
- with appropriate consultation, establishes teaching assignments and class schedules, and applies appropriate workload equivalencies, which are subject to approval by the Dean;
- coordinates academic advising;
- serves as an ex officio non-voting member of the Department Faculty Advisory Committee (FAC) and presides over its meetings;
- when making written reports to a higher administrative officer, reports the substance of FAC recommendations on all matters which require consultation with the FAC;
- informs the FAC of the status and final administrative determination of matters on which the FAC has been consulted;
- performs tasks, such as preparation of planning reports and other documents for the Department, and other tasks all of which cannot be enumerated herein;
- represents or appoints a designee to represent the Department to constituencies external to the Department.
The Chair serves at the pleasure of the Dean of the College of Business Administration and is selected and reviewed as delineated in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA).