Faculty Absence and Travel Policy

Faculty members who will be absent from campus for professional or personal reasons must submit a Request for Absence Form, together with estimated budget for the travel, with the Chair.  The request should be made at least one (1) month prior to the planned absence and is subject to the approval of the Chair and the Dean.  Arrangements for any classes to be missed during the absence must be addressed to the satisfaction of the Chair before approval will be granted.

Attendance at professional meetings is encouraged and approved travel expenses incurred in attending such meetings will be reimbursed when approved prior to travel according to the University's travel policies and are subject to the availability of Department funds.  In general, greater amounts of support will be granted to meeting participants (i.e., those presenting a paper or chairing a session) than to faculty members who simply attend professional meetings. Faculty members are strongly encouraged to seek travel funds from outside the Department.

  1. Faculty Sick Leave

    The Chair is responsible for keeping complete records of faculty sick leave; however, faculty members are also required to submit the appropriate sick leave forms to the Chair.  Sick leave forms should be completed and submitted to the Chair within forty-eight (48) hours after an absence. The university policy governing faculty sick leaves may be found in the University Policy Register, Section 3342-6-11.1. The university provides paid sick leave for the faculty for the following reasons:

    • illness or injury of the employee or a member of the employee's immediate family;
    • death of a member of the employee's immediate family
    • medical, dental or optical examination or treatment of the employee or a member of the immediate family;
    • when, through exposure to a contagious disease, either the health of the employee would be jeopardized or the employee's presence on the job would jeopardize the health of others; and
    • disability due to pregnancy and/or childbirth and related conditions. Upon request, a pregnant employee shall be permitted to use any or all of the employee's accumulated sick leave credit only for the period of time that the employee is unable to work as a result of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions. This period may include reasonable pre-delivery, delivery, and recovery time as certified by a licensed physician. An employee using sick leave credit shall not be prevented from receiving a leave of absence without pay for the remainder of the recovery period.
  2. Outside Employment and Other Outside Activities

    Faculty members may engage in professional activities outside the university provided the activities do not interfere with the faculty member's teaching, research, or service responsibilities to the Department, Campus, College or University (See, University Policy Register 3342-6-24). These activities must not compete with University activity or the faculty member’s employment with the University and must be approved in advance by the Chair and the Dean. Each academic year, each faculty member must disclose and seek approval for all outside employment or other outside activities on the form provided by the University.  Any outside employment or other outside activities are subject to the Faculty Code of Ethics and the University’s conflict of interest policies.  (See, University Policy Register 3342-6-17 and 3342-6-23)

    Furthermore, according to University Policy Register regarding outside enterprises including employment of faculty and academic administrators (Policy # 3342-6-24), the university “recognizes that one mark of an individual’s distinction is the esteem in which he or she is held by those outside the university who may request her/his expertise.” For a second “teaching activity at neighboring institutions or other external organizations, it is considered inappropriate for a full-time faculty member or full-time academic administrative officer to accept a teaching employment while under contract, if it conflicts with his or her primary responsibly to the university.”

    In general, an average of one day per week is the standard amount of time allowed for such consulting activities or employment.  For outside remunerative employment of a continuing nature, faculty members must obtain the approval in writing of the Department Chair, Dean and Senior Vice President and Provost for Academic Affairs. Such approval process must be repeated at the beginning of each academic year. Outside activities must be scheduled so that they do not interfere with a faculty member's teaching, research, and service responsibilities to the university.