Reappointment - Full-Teime Non-Tenure Track Faculty
For full-time non-tenure track faculty on the teaching track, the administration reviews Student Surveys of Instruction annually to determine annual reappointment. The Salem Campus tenured faculty members begin reviewing files during the third year full review.
Full Performance Reviews occur during the third and sixth year of consecutive reappointment. (CBA Article X.) On the Salem Campus, each tenured member of the campus FC reviews the files of the candidate and makes an independent written evaluation for or against the candidate. After a meeting of the tenured Faculty for purposes of discussion, the written evaluations and votes are forwarded to the Salem FC chair, who tabulates the votes and writes a letter of recommendation to the Campus Dean, including the faculty written evaluations for inclusion in the on-line portfolio.
The file for third and sixth year review will include:
- A self-evaluation providing an assessment of the candidate’s teaching/administrative performance and contributions during the review period. The self-evaluation should include teaching activities and innovations, course development, and professional development activities. It may also include campus, unit, and university service; performance reviews; research activity and other evidence of instructional and/or professional effectiveness.
- Updated Curriculum vitae.
- Workload statements for the period under review.
- Summaries of SSIs and students’ written comments on the SSIs.
- Syllabi from courses taught during the review period.
- Peer evaluation of teaching (one is expected, two are preferred).
- FTNTT Faculty members in the Practitioner, Clinical or Research tracks should include documentation which demonstrates the effective performance of their assigned duties and responsibilities within their respective tracks
The file may also include additional methods of evaluating teaching and learning, which may include development of a teaching portfolio, letters from experts in the field from outside the University, student focus groups, and other forms of scholarly examination of teaching.
In the 9th year of consecutive appointments and every three years thereafter until the 18th year of employment, non-tenure track faculty undergo a Simplified Performance Review (CBA Article X). The Non-Tenure Track Collective Bargaining Agreement specifies inclusion of a self-evaluation of professional activities, curriculum vitae, and SSI summaries (if applicable). On the Salem Campus, each tenured member of the campus FC reviews the files of the candidate and makes an independent written evaluation for or against the candidate. After a meeting of the tenured Faculty for purposes of discussion, the written evaluations and votes are forwarded to the Salem FC chair, who tabulates the votes and writes a letter of recommendation to the Campus Dean, including the faculty written evaluations for inclusion in the on-line portfolio
During the 18th year of consecutive appointments, and every three (3) years thereafter, the FTNTT faculty member will go through a more informal Administrative Performance Review (CBA Article X) with the Salem Campus Dean. The FTNTT faculty member will submit a curriculum vitae and a narrative of one to three pages in which the FTNTT Faculty member describes her/his professional activities during the past three (3) years to the Campus Dean. The Campus Dean will schedule a meeting with the FTNTT faculty member. The meeting will constitute the review.
In the unusual case when a FTNTT Faculty member is approved for a three-year term of annually renewable appointments and the Campus Dean determines that a subsequent review is needed due to performance concerns, the Campus Dean will include a performance plan and timeline for this subsequent review in the written summary of the review provided to the FTNTT Faculty member.