Goals and Mission
The primary mission of the School of Art is to provide a comprehensive and superior professional education in the study and practice of the visual arts that will complement university studies in the liberal arts, humanities, and sciences. The School of Art is committed to excellence in curricula and instruction; to liberal education as a necessary ground and complement to the development of perception, intellect, and imagination in the visual arts; to knowledge of art history as a basis for aesthetic sensibility and personal expression; to development of skills in traditional and experimental media; and to the practice and communication of the unity of form, meaning, and value in art and craft.
Alongside this mission, the primary objectives of the School of Art are to:
- Create an academic environment which promotes the intellectual and professional development of students and faculty;
- Develop and maintain a commitment to scholarly activity in research and creative activity, graduate education, and undergraduate education which is commensurate with the goals and mission of Kent State University;
- Provide programs for all students which meet the educational and technological demands of the disciplines represented in the School of Art;
- Offer courses in cognate academic disciplines and professional fields which provide the necessary base for the career goals of students and Faculty; and,
- Share expertise and make available to students and the public opportunities in the visual arts.
Service to the University and to the general public unifies and clarifies the role of the University in the local community, in the State of Ohio, in the nation, and is valued within the School, the College and the University.