The School Director of Theatre and Dance (hereinafter “Director”) is the chief administrative officer of the School and reports directly to and is accountable to the Dean of the College of the Arts (hereinafter “Dean”). The Director is responsible for recording, maintaining, and implementing the policies and procedures stated in this Handbook through regular and thorough consultation with the School faculty and committees. The Director's duties and responsibilities shall include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure School compliance with University, Administrative and Operational Policies, rules, regulations and any applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Develop and carry out administrative and educational policies in the School in consultation with the School faculty.
- Develop the School’s budget.
- Recommend new staff and faculty appointments to the Dean in consultation with the faculty.
- Recommend the reappointment, non-reappointment, tenure, promotion, sanction and/or dismissal of faculty members in the School.
- Appoint and direct the nonacademic staff of the School.
- Serve as Producing Director of all School and Porthouse Theatre productions.
- Recommend leaves of absence for faculty members in the School, including but not limited to Professional Improvement Leaves and other academic leaves and/or non-academic leaves, including but not limited to leaves of absence without pay, sick leave, temporary disability leaves, court leaves and/or military leaves of absence.
- Notify the Dean of the absence or resignation of a faculty member.
- Implement course changes through the appropriate committees.
- Assign workload to faculty members in consultation with the faculty.
- Schedule classes and rooms through the appropriate University offices.
- Oversee the preparation of reports to University officials, as required and appropriate.
- Maintain custody of University property allocated to the School.
- Supervise the academic counseling of student majors in the School.
- Communicate and work with the appropriate College and University staff on fund-raising and advancement initiatives to benefit the School of Theatre and Dance.
- Promote positive communication and morale within the School.
- Represent the School and communicate the views of its faculty in College and University affairs.
- Keep the School informed of the views and policies of the College and University administrations.
- Maintain appropriate balance and emphasis among the various disciplines of the School.
- Perform other tasks and duties as assigned, all of which cannot be cataloged and may include but not be limited to: following the progress of graduates; maintaining relationships with the Regional Campuses; providing orientation to new faculty; developing brochures of course syllabi.
The Director is an ex-officio, non-voting member of all School committees, and may make appointments as necessary and permitted to School committees and to the various administrative and service positions in the School.
The selection, review, and reappointment of the Director are the responsibilities of the Dean, who consults with the School faculty on such matters. Procedures for the selection, review and reappointment of the Director are included in the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement.