Mission and Objectives of the School
The mission of the School of Visual Communication Design reads as follows:
The mission of the School of Visual Communication Design is to provide a superior undergraduate and graduate education in the study and practice of visual communication design that complements University studies in the liberal arts, humanities, and sciences. Uniquely positioned within the College of Communication and Information, the School encourages cross-disciplinary studies to meet the challenges of an evolving global marketplace. Our teaching philosophy and rigorous curricula promote innovative thinking in the development of design processes, communication strategies, and emerging technologies.
The primary objectives of the School of Visual Communication Design are to:
- Create an academic environment that promotes the intellectual and professional development of students and faculty;
- Develop and maintain a commitment to creative endeavor, scholarly activity, research, graduate education, and undergraduate education that is commensurate with the goals and mission of the College of Communication and Information and Kent State University;
- Provide programs for all students that meet the educational, aesthetic, theoretical and technological demands of the disciplines represented in the School;
- Within the curricula, require courses in cognate academic disciplines that provide the necessary base for the career goals of students and faculty; and,
- Provide the campus and community with service commensurate with a University.
Implicit in these objectives is our responsibility as educators, which includes but is not limited to educating undergraduate and graduate students while promoting and clarifying the role and philosophy of visual communication design education.
A strong commitment to creative activity and research means creating and maintaining a significant intellectual environment and achieving our broader commitments to the advancement of knowledge and service to the public.
Service to the University and to the general public unifies and clarifies the role of the University in the local community, in the State of Ohio, and in the nation, and is valued within the School, the College and the University.
Structure and Organization of the School